You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-01 00:40:17

LionsSharks15

[Solved]Proper way to install and set up KMail (and related software)?

Hello Arch Community,
I want to install KMail, KDE's calendar app, and the rest of the apps in that "suite" but whenever I try to use them on Arch, I have nothing but problems. I have completely wiped out everything related to it and would like to know exactly which packages I need to install to ensure that my email and calendar sync perfectly with KDE. I remember when I tried it before, Akonadi would give me problems regarding "Identities" and password stuff (but Google let everything through just fine). Akonadi and KWallet are really finnicky it seems, so I also want to make sure I have all the right packages with that too. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm sure this is an easy thing to handle but I'd like to make sure I do it right. Thanks!

Last edited by LionsSharks15 (2022-02-06 18:42:55)

#2 2022-02-01 03:37:39

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved]Proper way to install and set up KMail (and related software)?

Off hand, I would say sudo pacman -Syu kmail kalendar

The rest of your post is context free and does not give us anything to work with.  Just vague references to 'stuff'  and 'finicky' and 'problems'
I assume you are using Plasma.  You are going to need to provide specifics.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-02-04 20:12:47

LionsSharks15

Hi ewaller,
I installed the apps properly.
I am using KDE Plasma with Wayland. On KMail, when I add my email I get the following notification:
"Resource Google Mail is broken.
Could not read the password: user rejected wallet access"
I have KWallet installed and unlocked and I don't receive any prompts to fix the issue. I don't know how to fix it.

#4 2022-02-05 15:00:04

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

a search for "kmail gmail" suggests that message has nothing to do with the kde wallet and everything with google business practices.
Apparently google gmail by default only allows oauth access and blocks imap .

You will probably have to change kmail setup AND gmail setup, see https://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hin … hout_OAuth

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2022-02-05 18:22:59

LionsSharks15

Lone_Wolf wrote:

a search for "kmail gmail" suggests that message has nothing to do with the kde wallet and everything with google business practices.
Apparently google gmail by default only allows oauth access and blocks imap .

You will probably have to change kmail setup AND gmail setup, see https://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hin … hout_OAuth

Yay, that worked! For the record, I use 2FA on my Google account, so I had to create an "App Password" as well, replacing my account password with the app one. Once I did that and changed Authentication to PLAIN, it worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!

#6 2022-02-06 11:15:08

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

great to see it helped, please prepend [Solved] to the thread title (edit first post)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer