You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-30 15:05:50

stingray

Any chance of Board Style = "Arch" as default befo

I really like the look and feel of the Forums with "Board Style" = "Arch" in my Profile.  8)  It looks great and works great with most of the other pages.

But you have to be logged in for it to work so good...  Any chance of using the "Arch" Board Style by default before logging in?

#2 2006-11-30 16:57:24

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Any chance of Board Style = "Arch" as default befo

There's a couple of style problems with the Arch theme, which is why we didn't make it the default. We're working some things to rectify this though.

Dusty

#3 2006-11-30 17:01:36

stingray

Dusty wrote:

There's a couple of style problems with the Arch theme, which is why we didn't make it the default. We're working some things to rectify this though.

Dusty

Thanks.  Looking forward to it!

#4 2006-11-30 22:57:42

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Dusty, I know you know what you are doing but is there actually any chance of rectifying the problems with the Grand Unifying Header (GUH)?  If not you might as well make teh change to the new theme as default - it's been months, most of us use it everyday, why not?  I know it still has some visual quirks but it's stable isn't it?

#5 2006-11-30 23:19:35

iphitus
Forum Fellow

dtw wrote:

Dusty, I know you know what you are doing but is there actually any chance of rectifying the problems with the Grand Unifying Header (GUH)?  If not you might as well make teh change to the new theme as default - it's been months, most of us use it everyday, why not?  I know it still has some visual quirks but it's stable isn't it?

i dont use it, the visual quirks annoy me.

the GUH isnt really that difficult to fix, its just a matter of getting access. Neotuli's trying to get access, and i've filed a bug to judd, so we're just waiting on him.

James

#6 2006-11-30 23:26:29

arooaroo
Website

Good god - I never noticed this before! Just switched and it looks pretty nice. I'm only 30 secs in and haven't noticed any significant glitches. Nice one to those involved. smile

#7 2006-12-01 00:37:37

soloport

iphitus wrote:
dtw wrote:

i dont use it, the visual quirks annoy me.
James

Have been using it for... OK, since just before it got stable.  Either I've gotten used to the "quirks" or they only show up in IE.

What quirks??  Am curious -- what am I missing?

#8 2006-12-01 13:54:07

foxbunny
Website

soloport wrote:

Either I've gotten used to the "quirks" or they only show up in IE.

I don't see them either... I've switched to it about a few minutes ago... Apart from icons missing from the toolbox at the top (Profile, Groups, Members, etc), I see nothing that could be called a 'visual quirk'. smile

Well, maybe the headers (like 'Message' or 'Post a reply') could be white on blue, instead of dark grey on blue... But that's about it.

EDIT:  :oops: Oh, I see. I do notice a thing or two to be changed. Same problems as in the ArchWiki, I'm afraid... some padding could really help.

#9 2006-12-01 14:52:16

PJ

One thing that I have notice is that the header really looks messy if the width of the page goes under a certain level, that doesn't happened with the "original layout". This visual error is pretty easy to find, just resize/shrink the window size for the browser.

#10 2006-12-01 15:06:04

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I am using it seems ok

Mr Green

#11 2006-12-01 15:25:39

hypermegachi

i didn't even know there was this theme!  cool!

#12 2006-12-01 15:39:57

FUBAR
Website

hypermegachi wrote:

i didn't even know there was this theme!  cool!

Same here! ^_^

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#13 2006-12-01 17:01:26

soloport

PJ wrote:

One thing that I have notice is that the header really looks messy if the width of the page goes under a certain level, that doesn't happened with the "original layout". This visual error is pretty easy to find, just resize/shrink the window size for the browser.

Aha!  That makes sense.  I use full-screen exclusively (in fact, I think a lot -- most? -- web sites may be tuned to full-screen.  More ad space ;-)  )

#14 2006-12-01 17:17:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

the plan right now is for neotuli to get access to the web server, and to start taking care of... well, everything, really. We're planning on migrating to punbb, which means if the Arch theme survives at all its going to have to be migrated, and somehow upgrading or migrating the wiki. In the longer term, we will be fixing or changing the unified header and hopefully integrating some of the other parts of archlinux.org into the main site.

Dusty

#15 2006-12-02 03:35:01

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

that nasty line in the unified header...

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

After talking to someone who knows CSS inside out, I've come to understand is not so nasty anymore. It just makes the CSS work better across browsers, and makes the rest of the CSS more explicit and thus easier to read.
I don't recommend removing it, but instead fixing the *rest* of the CSS. (which, with phpbb is uhm... what's the PR term here... a pain in the kaboodle, because there are tags mixed in all over the place that override this and that and try to be clever, so it screws with whatever CSS you write)

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#16 2006-12-02 09:16:56

iphitus
Forum Fellow

neotuli wrote:

that nasty line in the unified header...

* { margin: 0; padding: 0; }

After talking to someone who knows CSS inside out, I've come to understand is not so nasty anymore. It just makes the CSS work better across browsers, and makes the rest of the CSS more explicit and thus easier to read.
I don't recommend removing it, but instead fixing the *rest* of the CSS. (which, with phpbb is uhm... what's the PR term here... a pain in the kaboodle, because there are tags mixed in all over the place that override this and that and try to be clever, so it screws with whatever CSS you write)

fixing the rest of the CSS means applying a style to every single other bit of CSS. every single div needs it's own spacing applied. that's overkill -- and I question your 'expert' because that setup would result in a fair big css file.

this thing can be setup to EASILY accomodate phpbb. phpbb doesnt rudely declare things globally like the header. the header needs to define things within it's own scope, and then phpbb will appear fine, and the header will appear fine, otherwise we're going to be putting a huge amount of statements for the phpbb, when we could just adjust one from the header. it really is that simple.

James

#17 2006-12-02 18:37:04

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

i dont know why everyone is so set on using that same CSS header. You know it could just be copied and that one line removed...

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#18 2006-12-02 21:47:16

iphitus
Forum Fellow

neotuli wrote:

i dont know why everyone is so set on using that same CSS header. You know it could just be copied and that one line removed...

or that one line could be removed, and another most likely one liner change made to it, and it would be fixed.

either way, the same CSS will still be located up there, it's just whether it's in a seperate file or not. I dont mind whether in its a seperate file or not.

James

Board footer