You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-01 07:09:21

Kurous

gnome sound recorder killed my working sound setup

Cut a long story short, I've had skype working with my mic for a week. Decided I'd record something, opened up gnome sound recorder, after recording 2 tracks successfully all of a sudden it stopped working, now my mic will not work in any application, I have fiddled with all my alsamixer settings and I can't get it to work again. Very very frustrated, I was making a lot of skype calls as my phone line just got disconnected by a storm and now I can't. i can't figure it out, does gnome sound recorder change some alsa setting??? My 5.1 surround stopped working as well, but that may be from me desperately trying alsamixer settings. I have a SB live 5.1. I tried the mic in another computer and it works.

Any help really appreciated.

Cheers

I just want to be a moderately intelligent monkey that wears a suit.... That's why I've enrolled in business school!

#2 2006-12-01 08:21:37

Zoranthus

Re: gnome sound recorder killed my working sound setup

If the device is there, it could still be a mixer setting some setting of the program you are trying to use.

What programs are you trying to get your mic working with? If it just doesn't work with Skype or the sound recorder it might be that the program is listening on the wrong channel. The gnome sound recorder for example can listen on the wave-channel, the cd-channel, the microphone, etc. etc., while programs like TS2 can listen on what they call different devices. Had some trouble with TS because of that at first because with the standard setting, my wave- and microphone-record-channel were linked - with the third of a total of three settings it worked just the way it should.

If it's a mixer setting you can't resolve with the gnome volume manager maybe try gamixer. It's the best mixing program I know. Can't find the homepage, but here's a working link with reference to dependencies.http://www.t2-project.org/packages/gamix.html

#3 2006-12-03 19:29:49

Kurous

Re: gnome sound recorder killed my working sound setup

Okay I'll try that out. What makes me suspect its a mixer setting is that it was all working perfectly before I opened up gnome sound recorder...so I suspect that program changed a mixer setting or something to be more compatible...but in the end its made my mic not work. It was working fine with Skype before. As well, I've tried very channel almost in the sound recorder settings.

I just want to be a moderately intelligent monkey that wears a suit.... That's why I've enrolled in business school!

Board footer