You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-02 06:52:23

0mark
Website

little blue man - a lighter bluetooth thing for x

I have several older machines with precious little ram and very limited ability to extend it, either due to it being made from pure unobtanium or because the base architecture is 32 bit. Or both. Thus, Blueman, being written in python, is often quite a burden. And i also do not like its interface. I think the ones from nm-applet or pasystray are much more suitable.

Thus, i set out to write a simple Systray thing which could do the basic handling, like connecting, disconnecting, PIN display and input, such stuff. I tried to orient myself on the suckless stuff (using drw for example). I got sidetracked a bit by experimenting with some experiments in OOP-like programming in C and some delusions of grandeur by part-time trying to make my own Toolkit. Thus, the code is bit more complicated than it has to be. Sorry for that. Also note that i am not a C programmer by trade, i probably did many bad mistakes. Also keep in mind that i did very limited testing, as i do not have all that many bluetooth devices.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/lbm-git AUR
https://git.weitnahbei.de/nullmark/little_blue_man GIT

Tray icon, doing nothing, waiting patiently for something to happen.
Tray Icon
The Icons color indicates state: grey: disabled, blue: enabled, green: connected.
A second Icon indicates discovery/visibility: blue: discovering, red: visible, blue: both, no second icon: neither.

Device List Menu (left click on icon).
Device List
Left Click will connect, right click remove and middle click show some info.
The circle indicates state: empty not bound, half full: bound but not connected, full: connected.
The wave symbol indicates signal strength. In this pic, no device is visible so all are grey.

Menu (right click)
Menu

In place of the menu may appear also boxes showing or asking for pins when binding a new device.

Also a WARNING!

I did not really asses any questions of security. Most of the heavy lifting is done by bluez and dbus anyway. But as i handle, for example, device name strings, there is a way and i did not look too much into it. I played a bit with valgrind, but not each time i commit a thing.

Note that it does not work with any systray for gnome 4 i tried. Don't know exactly why. My systray implementation is very dodgy anyway.

Please keep in mind that this thing is not really done yet. I use it daily one three different machines, but that's all the testing it gets.

*edit* added pictures and some more description. To lure some people to test it wink

Last edited by 0mark (2022-03-08 08:22:32)

Ceterum autem censeo Systemdinem esse delendam

#2 2022-03-05 06:35:18

0mark
Website

Re: little blue man - a lighter bluetooth thing for x

Uhm, i guess it did not work because the submodules where wrong. should work now smile

*edit* added the missing "not"

Last edited by 0mark (2022-03-08 08:23:32)

#3 2022-03-13 10:51:45

0mark
Website

Re: little blue man - a lighter bluetooth thing for x

Well, i just got a message that the checkout still failed. I think it should work now. I would appreciate if anyone might try and tell me smile

Board footer