You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-15 04:36:52

precrisk

Valheim freezing after playing for a minute

I am trying to play game Valheim. I installed it using `steam` package. But when I try to run the game it hangs after approx 1 minute into game. I am using `prime-run` command to run it on NVIDIA.

I cannot move the mouse and meta (windows) key doesn't work nor does

Ctrl+Alt+F2

combination work directly.
However, I can switch to tty after pressing

Alt+SysRq+r

So, I can thereafter kill valheim and use computer as usual, so probably problem is not in plasma, Xorg, etc.

How can I solve this issue?

System Specifications:

Computer: Dell G3 3579 
Kernel: 5.15.28-1-lts   
Shell: zsh 5.8.1 
Resolution: 1920x1080 
DE: Plasma 5.24.3 
Session: Xorg
WM: KWin 
CPU: Intel i7-8750H (12) @ 4.100GHz 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Mobile 
GPU: Intel CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630] 

I am not sure if this issue with linux or valheim. because, I couldnt find any reports of this on web. and so am posting it here.

EDIT 1: Steam Log: https://pastebin.com/k5en0njK

Thankyou. smile

Last edited by precrisk (2022-03-15 04:51:09)

#2 2022-03-16 08:45:18

precrisk

Re: Valheim freezing after playing for a minute

I have looked around internet for this issue and found at least 1 person who had a very similar issue like me. He solved it by resetting undervolting/ overclocking configuration of his GPU to default. My laptop is getting a bit old at this point and has a practically dead battery so I wanted to test this theory and check if there is some power delivery problem to discrete GPU of my laptop. How do I do it under archlinux?

#3 2022-11-15 03:35:54

bakgwailo

Bit of an old post, but wondering if you every figured anything out? Having the same issue on my thinkpad w/ Nvidia optimus graphics where after 1 minute of attempted game play it hard locks up except the house is still "responsive" and the music keeps playing. Keyboard and everything else lock up so the main recovery is a hard reboot.

#4 2022-11-15 10:14:08

precrisk

You don't need to hard reboot archlinux if a program crashes. You need to enable SysRq keyboard shortcuts using this method https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Keyboa … _shortcuts. then you can follow the method that I used in 1st post to recover from valheim crash.

However to answer your question, unfortunately I dont play valheim anymore as I have got busier with my life. However, few days back I did play it for an hour without crash with ferel's gamemode + gamescope. However I am not sure if it was just a coincidence or successful workaround and am also not sure which one did the trick gamemode or gamescope. (I personally believe its gamemode, as it does some power management tuning, whereas gamescope is just a psuedo-compositor).

Best of luck.

#5 2022-11-18 01:49:59

bakgwailo

hey, appreciate the reply and totally feel the having no time. Finally had a bit of time off for a holiday, grabbed the laptop, and booted Valheim after not playing just to see what they added to it, and bam - instant frustration. Appreciate you taking the time  - no need to  insert a relevant XKCD anymore .

But, yeah, shockingly, I did add game mode and it seems to work fine now. I unfortunately also changed up a bit of my Nvidia/Optimus config, too, but, I am guessing it was probably game mode which seems really strange, but, I guess I'll take it. Thank you again!

Board footer