You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-23 02:55:27

hexadecagram

[SOLVED] Package libvirt created a new user; how to propagate?

I pacstrap'ed a new machine this weeeknd and discovered that the package libvirt created a new user (libvirt-qemu) that none of my other machines have.

I attempted to reinstall it using pacman -S libvirt but the new user does not get created. libvirtd is of course running, so pacman -Rc libvirt seems dangerous.

What would be the "right way" (besides copy/paste) to get the new user and any other goodies that may have come down the pipe from the various PKGBUILD package_*() functions since my last fresh install?

In other words, I'm looking to future-proof this process in case similar changes to packages occur.

Last edited by hexadecagram (2022-03-29 02:49:26)

#2 2022-03-24 11:02:43

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] Package libvirt created a new user; how to propagate?

https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-c … 9b1ecd9f4a

It looks like systemd-sysusers is used to create the new user.

A reboot should work, but if you prefer keeping the systems running :
Have you tried stopping libvirt related services and running systemd-sysusers.service ?

Edit : pacman log may have messages about skipping some hooks on these updates

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2022-03-24 11:03:52)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2022-03-29 02:48:54

hexadecagram

Re: [SOLVED] Package libvirt created a new user; how to propagate?

I wanted to avoid rebooting but the machine eventually needed to be, and yes, it appears to have done the trick.

Sure enough my pacman.log has in it "running '20-systemd-sysusers.hook'...", just above the lines where the user and group are created. Some interesting stuff to be found in /usr/share/libalpm and /usr/share/sysusers.d. Looks like the systemd-sysusers(1) command is highly relevant.

Thanks for the pointers.

Board footer