You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-24 14:10:31

benm

[SOLVED] KDE Printer Management in System Settings

When I attempt to add a Network printer using KDE's native Printer Management in System Settings, the printer setup completes without error but the printer does not show up in my printer list.

I've installed cups and enabled it with systemctl. I've added my user to the wheel group. I have Avahi installed and configured.

When I open system settings, I choose, Printers, Add Printer. The dialogue discovers my Brother DCP-L2540DW printer as a discovered network printer. I choose IPP network printer via DNS-SD. Drivers search automatically and find Brother DCP-L2540DW series, driverless, cups-filters 1.28.12 (en). I am given the opportunity to name the printer and I leave the names as defaults. I press finish.

It appears like it should have worked, but no printer is in the list and I cannot print to it from applications.

Edit: A potentially relevant fact. Other actions on System Settings seem off. I've installed a few KDE themes and they did not show up in my list until after a reboot when normally they show up immediately. However, the Printer still does not show up.

Solution: Found this random site with some info.
https://people.math.rochester.edu/facul … ter-2.html

This is what solved it:

Edit the file

/etc/nsswitch.conf
so that the hosts line contains.

hosts: files mdns_minimal dns mdns

Last edited by benm (2022-03-24 15:51:53)

Board footer