You are not logged in.

#1 2022-03-27 12:50:04

feng

[Solved]Dell PowerEdge R730 installation

After changing the boot mode to BIOS, I managed to boot the ArchLinux with a USB driver.
However, I can only see the GRUB menu, and selecting any item to install will quickly lead to a reboot.
Any suggestions to continue the installation?

I experienced the same problem when trying to install Redhat 8.5
A screenshot looks like

https://s1.ax1x.com/2022/04/04/qHWgZq.png

I have updated the BIOS/firmware to the newest version, and
PowerEdge overview: https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de … 0/overview

Mod Edit - Replaced oversized image with link.
CoC - Pasting pictures and code

----
update 4/3/2022

I noticed Dell released a BIOS to fix this problem on 18/9/2018, but my BIOS is even newer.
see:  https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en … lang=en-us

Last edited by feng (2022-04-05 09:24:13)

#2 2022-04-05 09:30:26

feng

Re: [Solved]Dell PowerEdge R730 installation

I solved this problem by rolling back BIOS.

A quick summary:

1. remove all the PCI devices in case of strange 'board voltage too high error'
2. rollback BIOS from 2.14.0 to 2.4.3
3. upgrade BIOS from 2.4.3 to 2.7.1
4. upgrade BIOS from 2.7.1 to 2.8.0
5. upgrade BIOS from 2.8.0 to 2.9.1
6. upgrade BIOS from 2.9.1 to 2.10.5

At BIOS version 2.10.5, this problem, "Hardware error from APEI Generic Hardware Error Source ",  has gone.

#3 2022-06-15 03:08:13

dawnofman

Re: [Solved]Dell PowerEdge R730 installation

feng wrote:

After changing the boot mode to BIOS, I managed to boot the ArchLinux with a USB driver.
However, I can only see the GRUB menu, and selecting any item to install will quickly lead to a reboot.
Any suggestions to continue the installation?

I experienced the same problem when trying to install Redhat 8.5

I know this post is two-months old and that you solved it reverting the BIOS and then bringing-it back to the last one so this is clearly not-arch-specific, but, in case you wan't some related anecdotal stories I can say you ...

- that I am currently running arch-linux on two Dell PowerEdge R630v1 (firmware 2.14 iDRAC 2.85) servers in uEFI mode without any issues: all full of drives and memory and even with one M2 NVMe drive each one
- that those same servers can boot almost any linux distro in uEFI mode without any issues
- that those same servers can't boot many BSDs in uEFI mode for lots of different reasons (eg: FreeBSD DragonFlyBSD) ... USB3 on FreeBSD and in DragonFlyBSD you'll freeze entering the framebuffer initialzation
- that I spent a LOT of time tinkering with Dell enterprise software and I will hold my opinion on the quality of it
- that Dell enterprise firmware is buggy as hell (long-time Dell PowerEdge user); eg: lots of ACPI issues etc
- that the build-quality of this 13G series is really good

Once you're past-the-point when you configured all the BIOS/etc as you want they are rock-solid providing you keep away as far-as-possible of Dell bloated software solutions/packages/etc ... and controllers configured as HBA of course.

The most irksome issue with Dell is fishing updates ... too many tools designed by first-graders that obviously won't have to use them; eg: DSU.

Board footer