You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-02 02:43:26

TarsolyGer

systemd-homed wants more disk space on a fresh install?

Recently I have read about homectl as a neat way to have portable and encrypted home directories. I wanted to get familiar with the system before doing anything stupid on bare metal. So now I am working in QEMU and a fresh install to figure out what exactly has to be done to make things work. However, I am stuck and out of ideas.

I followed the Installation Guide with the additional info from the "Install Arch Linux on LVM" page. I did the installation in the last 3 days from the 2022.03.01 image, and updated the system before proceeding.
After installing the bootloader, I successfully boot into the installed system, and log in as root.
When trying to create my first non-root user, I do

homectl create user -c "User" -G wheel --storage=luks --fs-type=btrfs

The user creation seems to happen, and I can see the new user.home file in the /home directory, and I am told by querying file user.home, that

user.home: DOS/MBR boot sector; partition 1 :  ID=0xee, start-CHS (0x0,0,2), end-CHS (0x3ff,255,63), startsector 1, 6777255 sectors, extended partition table (last)

However, when I try to log in, I get a password query repeatedly 5 times (no message that the password is incorrect), and then I'm told that

-- user: /home/user: change directory failed: No such file or directory

and thrown to /. If I log back as root and I do

homectl activate user

then I' receive the error message that

Operation on home user failed: Not enough disk space for home user

This is very weird, as according to lsblk -f, I have 3G available and only 20% is used on the home partition, so I tried

cryptsetup open /home/user.home test

I get an error message telling me, that it is not a valid LUKS device, so I'm wondering if the previous error message about the disk space might be indicative of something else. Especially as my setup is one virtual HDD of 30G (cqow, used as /dev/sda in QEMU)

• sda1 with 600 M formatted to vfat and used as the EFI system partition, mounted at /boot

• sda2 with the rest used as the volume group in an LVM system, with two logical volumes:

• rootvol with 25 G, formatted to btrfs, mounted as /, currently free 23G (6% in use)

• homevol with 4.4 G, formatted to btrfs, mounted as /home, currently free 3G (20% in use)

Thank you for reading my post, I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited by TarsolyGer (2022-04-02 02:44:04)

The only way... is all the way!

Board footer