You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-04 21:54:22

soylent_green_is_hamster

Confused over alsamixer levels

Hi - was hoping someone could clear up some ALSA issues for me.

My audigy4 seems to have been detected, and is producing decent sound, but I'm really confused by the levels in alsamixer.
Firstly, there doesn't seem to be any option to enable CMSS, but there is a PCM out "post 3d" and "pre 3d" option. Changing between these options seems to do nothing.

There are 2 sets of levels. I have:
PCM Centre, PCM Front, PCM LFE, PCM Side, PCM Surround
and
Front, Surround, Centre, LFE and side

changing the 'PCM' levels makes no difference.

Changing Front, Surround and Centre levels alters the corresponding speaker levels in my 5.1 setup.
Even if I play a stereo source, i can play, what sounds like a corresponding stereo signal (rather than an upmixed signal), through the surround speakers by turning them up. This seems wrong

Why do I have so many levels, most of which seem to do nothing, what is the post 3d/Pre 3d option, and how can I enable/disable upmixing?

any help appreciated!!

#2 2006-12-04 23:50:24

Borosai

Re: Confused over alsamixer levels

I don't have your card, so this is just a guess, but what outputs are you using? And are there any other outputs (S/PDIF, one line per channel, a regular 1/8" jack out, etc...)?

#3 2006-12-05 00:15:05

soylent_green_is_hamster

i'm using the 3 regular jack outputs for front, rear and centre/sub, but it also has support for S/PDIF.

#4 2006-12-05 00:28:00

Borosai

Hmm...well, I wish I knew more about that card. But I also have many channels in AlsaMixer that do nothing (I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496), so I suppose that may be normal for some cards.

Board footer