You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-07 16:44:25

iestynapmwg

simple-scan is not using chosen gtk theme

Since the last update of simple-scan, 42.0-1, got installed a few days ago, i've noticed that it's not using the gtk theme i've selected. All other gtk programs seem to be using the Adwaita-dark theme, but this one program insists on using a light theme. And only since this update, previously it used the correct theme. I've checked:

gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface gtk-theme
'Adwaita-dark'

which is correct. I've also tried manually adding a line to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini with

gtk-theme-name = Adwaita-dark

(I also added this to gtk-4.0/settings.ini just in case, even though simple-scan uses gtk-3.)

So far nothing i've tried will get simple-scan use the correct theme. Any suggestions on where else to look, why this program is seemingly picking it's own theme (from where?)?

Thanks!

#2 2022-04-07 21:47:08

bulletmark

Re: simple-scan is not using chosen gtk theme

That new simple-scan version requires GNOME 42 system wide dark theme changes so just update your system again.

#3 2022-04-08 04:29:37

iestynapmwg

Ah, yes, that did it. I wonder why everything wasn't updated at the same time...

It took some digging, as at first ALL gtk programs seemed to now be running with the same light theme. I did eventually find a "Style" switch in gnome-control-center that allowed me to switch everything to Dark.

Not really related to my original question, but are newer gtk-based programs limited to just Light and Dark Styles? Has the concept of themes been done away with? The information on
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GTK seems to be based on how things worked about a week ago...

#4 2022-04-08 14:53:55

pepper

I've the same problem. I'm on a xfce system with adwaita dark but since recent updates Some gtk programs turned to white theme, for example File Roller. Is there a way to force the dark theme for these applications?

#5 2022-04-08 17:46:53

iestynapmwg

pepper wrote:

Is there a way to force the dark theme for these applications?

See my reply above... run gnome-control-center and choose Appearance > Style > Dark. I haven't seen any way to actually select a theme any more. Adwaita-dark is only used as a fall-back now for older gtk apps.

#6 2024-07-22 21:40:35

Npa

Hi perhaps it's late to answer but i had the same problem with simple scan 46.
A solution i found on the web :
Copy the correct .desktop file associated to gThumb, simple-scan or file-roller from
/usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications.
Open the copied .desktop file using a text editor (mousepad...).
Look for the Exec= line. Add env GTK_THEME=<Theme-Name>:<Theme-variant> just after Exec=
so that it now looks like
Exec=env GTK_THEME=<Theme-Name>:<Theme-variant> simple-scan %U
for example
Exec=env GTK_THEME=Adwaita:dark simple-scan %U
Save the .desktop file.

Board footer