You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-14 20:35:24

nooobeee

Disable discreet AMD GPU with Dedicated AMD GPU

I have a laptop that, for various reasons, I would like to disable the cpu integrated graphics and solely use the dedicated GPU.  It is a Ryzen laptop with both Renior and Radeon RX.  I'm on updated Arch and running X11 Plasma.

$ lspci | grep ATI
01:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Upstream Port of PCI Express Switch (rev c2)
02:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 XL Downstream Port of PCI Express Switch
03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5600 OEM/5600 XT / 5700/5700 XT] (rev c2)
03:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 HDMI Audio
07:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir (rev c6)
07:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Renoir Radeon High Definition Audio Controller

I've verified that the Renior graphics is active:

$ glxinfo|egrep "OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL vendor string: AMD
OpenGL renderer string: AMD RENOIR (LLVM 13.0.1, DRM 3.44, 5.17.2-arch3-1)

I've read numerous articles and forum posts on this topic but the steps being suggested seem to break down either because my dedicated GPU isn't NVIDIA or because my integrated GPU isn't intel (eg. I can't use bumblebee because that's for NVIDIA and I can't blaclist ATI drivers because that's also my dedicated GPU).

Following: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/hybrid_graphics
I attempted to use the acpi_call and provided turn_off_gpu.sh script but all of the devices failed.

How do I disable the CPU integrated AMD/ATI graphics without breaking my dedicated AMD/ATI graphics?

Last edited by nooobeee (2022-04-18 23:21:18)

Board footer