You are not logged in.

#1 2022-04-16 17:08:54

Freakzz

[SOLVED] AwesomeWM cannot open display

So I decided to install some dotfiles off of github.. but as expected, it didn't go well.

Long story short, I tried installing rxyhn's latest dotfiles for awesome-git. Normally, I use the stable version of awesome, but since this required the master version, I installed that without removing the stable version first. I didn't notice anything weird at first (after reloading awesome). As I kept moving through the set up section, installing the dependencies on top of what I already had been using for so long(not sure if that's a good thing or not, I just wanted to install the dotfiles quickly), I started noticing things like my keybinds wouldn't work and soon enough, the whole thing was frozen... I think I followed the whole setup section correctly but I did notice something else too. The command fc-cache -v wouldnt work.. and by that I mean, everytime I'd execute it, it would just enter a new line in the terminal(without the prompt) and just stay there. I left it for what felt like 10-20 minutes hoping it would do something(in case the files were too big or something idk). As you may have guessed. nothing happened. So I thought of doing it using root permissions and it worked.. I think? Well, I got a response that's for sure. However the issue still persists. Let's get to the main error messages.

Whenever I boot into arch, lightdm loads perfectly fine. Once I log into the system, the only thing I see is my cursor and a black screen. I accessed the tty and tried starting awesome from there. No such luck, these are the error messages I got:

WARNING: modelines must use ASCII
awesome: cannot open display(error 5) 

I tried looking around for answers, but the only relevant ones to this error were the ones saying that you had to type in exec awesome in your .xinitrc file, which I've already done.
So at this point I'm all out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as always.

EDIT: Removed git version and installed awesome stable. Still wouldnt connect to screen. Removed the /awesome/ folder too... still nothing.

EDIT 2: I installed lxqt and it wouldn't connect to screen either.. even though x starts.

ps. Apologies for my broken English.

Last edited by Freakzz (2022-04-17 07:43:30)

Suffering from crippling rice addiction.

#2 2022-04-16 20:00:09

seth

Re: [SOLVED] AwesomeWM cannot open display

You cannot start awesome from a console as it requires an (X11) display server - which you'd still have to direct it to when it exists (export DISPLAY=:0)

Here's an idea: don't "install" some random personal configs that somebody has shoved onto github.
Did you even look at the .profile and .zshrc?
Get rid of this entire stuff - you can look at it for inspiration, but copying somebodies personal config onto a system that possibly doesn't even have the referenced binaries available is a complete nonstarter.

Board footer