You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-07 11:41:38

sokuban

Sound Problems

So I download the package for xmms only to find I cannot play anything because I don't have my sound stuff configured right. Then to my horror I notice that I can't get sound to work on any program at all!

I want to try to get OSS to work but I have never done this manually before. I tried looking through the Arch Wiki but the only OSS thing I can find seems to be some closed source proprietary model. These things are always a pain to work with.

I downloaded the package alsa-oss but this didn't fix much.

I think I would prefer OSS over ALSA because epsxe uses OSS for its sound. (Pete's plugin.)

How would I go about setting up OSS? There are other free implementations of OSS other than the proprietary one on that wiki and the free ones are probbably much easier to use right? (Or so I think.) Is there some hidden wiki page on it that I didn't see?

Help appreciated, I hope this question isn't too stupid.

#2 2006-12-07 12:22:37

thoffmeyer

Re: Sound Problems

#3 2006-12-07 18:06:49

bjorn
Website

- do you have the kernel module for your soundcard enabled? (try lshdw -a)
- can you play sounds as root? if so, it's due to permission problems. add your normal user to the 'audio' group using `gpasswd -a <user> audio`

I never said anything about that.
(archlinux.no)

#4 2006-12-08 08:05:25

sokuban

Ah thanks.

The lshdw -a command didn't work (couldn't find command.) but adding my user to audio worked. Just so I know, what other groups might I want to add my user to if I want privaleges to do stuff? Thanks.

Board footer