You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-05 11:21:26

rxev

System upgrade after 4 months

Hello.

Could you advise me what is the best way to act in the following case?

The last system upgrade was 4 months ago.
Few days ago I wanted to install a package and first I executed pacman -Syu but once I was prompted to confirm the full system upgrade I canceled the operation and decided to research further before performing an upgrade.
In fact pacman only downloaded a fresh copy of the database.

What would be the worst case scenario and what should I do now?

#2 2022-05-05 11:54:11

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: System upgrade after 4 months

You should just run the update. Check the news page for any breaking updates in the intervening period (as well as the mailing list). Off the top of my head there shouldn't be anything, but you should check it for yourself.

Do NOT install anything else until you've run the update and rebooted.

Just in case, make sure you have a live USB or something to fix your system if it (unlikely) stops booting. This is something you should have regardless, both for your Arch and any other machines.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2022-05-05 11:56:00

rxev

Re: System upgrade after 4 months

Thanks a lot, I was thinking the same and just ran it.

Board footer