Strange 'grub-mkconfig' issue.

Hi,

The target system
HP Pro Tablet 408 G1
Intel Atom Z3736F Cherry Trail
2GB RAM

The system I'm using here needed to be set up with

grub-install --target=i386-efi --efi-directory=/boot --bootloader-id=GRUB

due to the 32-bit UEFI bootloader it has.  I used the archboot ISO for the fact it supports 32-bit UEFI systems. But I didn't use the install GUI it comes with, instead I dropped to the shell and installed the system as you'd might with any standard Arch Linux ISO.

The issue I have is a strange issue where 'grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg' succeeds in the archboot ISO environment, even when I 'arch-chroot' into the installed system. But the same exact command fails to produce a working grub.cfg  when booted in.  Right now if I find myself needing to change anything with '/etc/default/grub'  I have to boot into the archboot ISO to be able to generate a new grub.cfg  I don't really understand what could be different in the archboot ISO vs the installed system that would be causing such an issue. 

When the command is run in the installed system I see this output

Generating grub configuration file ...

Then it exits with error 139

There doesn't appear to be any other issues when using Arch Linux on this tablet, firefox works great, stylus is working, touchscreen, etc. Just this weird 'grub-mkconfig' issue.

Does anyone here know what could be the issue and how to help?

Regards, Lance -- Raansu

Last edited by Raansu (2022-05-08 06:46:22)

#2 2022-05-08 09:14:17

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Strange 'grub-mkconfig' issue.

Can you post the actual different files being generated? FWIW the good thing about Arch Linux's way of handling kernels is that you generally do not need to update your GRUB config unless you add completely new kernel packages, as the names for the images GRUB will look for will generally remain the same.

Board footer