You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-09 12:15:37

sokuban

Japanese Terminal Support [SOLVED]

I have a problem, I cannot see Japanese characters in a terminal. I can see them in xffm and rox but I don't like either of them so much because xffm is so confusing (and I like simple things.) and rox can't execute anything. (I always get some sort of error.)

I am completely fine with using the cli for managing files except that I have a lot of Japanese folders and they all just come up as ?'s. I have utf8 support and I use terminal. (packaged as terminal in Pacman, made for xfce)

I should note that in Xubuntu I used the exact same font in xfterm4 (monospace) and I got Japanese support ok.

Anyone know how I could read Japanese characters in a terminal? I don't think it is a font problem, as monospace should have Japanese support since it worked in Xubuntu. Do I have to do anything additional to getting Japanese support in a terminal?

SOLUTION:
Apparantly I found out in Arch you need to generate your locales. Look in /etc/locale.gen. Uncomment the locales you want then run locale-gen as root.
I know I could have done more work on this but since this is the newbie corner I guess it is ok. This is my last problem with my move to Arch Linux and I hope it will all be fine after that.

Help is appreciated.

#2 2006-12-09 16:42:00

tardo

Re: Japanese Terminal Support [SOLVED]

You could try changing the font in terminal and see if that helps. I use gnome-terminal and it shows up just fine. It could be that the terminal doesn't have unicode/sjis support.

#3 2006-12-09 16:43:55

giddygiddyBA

Try using urxvt (rxvt-unicode)

#4 2006-12-11 08:15:46

sokuban

I didn't try gnome terminal because I don't want gnome depends, I tried urxvt but it doesn't seem to work either.

What configuration would I have to do to get Japanese working in a terminal. That should be a better phrased question.

EDIT: I found out one thing that might help, whenever I run a program it gives me an error saying locale not supported and using the C locale.

My current locale is en_US.utf8

Board footer