You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-22 17:47:55

MrSplitsG

mkinitcpio systemd hook help

Hi everyone,

I was hoping that there might be some one that understand systemd's boot process, I'm experimenting with Secure boot, TPM2 (not clevis) and overlayfs, with udev I'm able to follow mkinitcpio hooks for a aur package liveroot, however I read somewhere that systemd kind off "ignores" other kernel parameters or hooks (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=248836).

My goal is to mount root on an overlayfs like liveroot does inside the initramfs but using the systemd hook so that I can use sd-encrypt.

My reason for doing this is that Liveroot has saved my skin a few times with me experimenting with broken packages and custom scripts, when i stuff up a simple reboot, fixes all my problems.
The reason for wanting to use systemd is that it is already pre-installed on the OS and has TPM2 support.

I'm struggling to understand how systemd mounts root in the initramfs and I'm not all that familiar with systemd in general.

With systemd hook in kernel perimeters using init=/bin/sh, rescue or emergency doesn't help me because the root is already mounted and switched to.
with udev I can use break=premount or break=postmount to follow the code in a hook but with systemd in mkinitcpio break no longer works.

if anyone can help me understand how I can implement overlay with systemd that would be great.

Board footer