You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-23 07:38:17

bajaco

What is the correct course of action to repair a repo?

A repo I use changed hands and unfortunately the installation process was broken by the new maintainer. I created another repo that reverted the changes they made and installed the software correctly, but the maintainer had my package deleted.

I left a comment explaining what broke the installation, but the maintainer hasn't reverted their changes.

What's the correct way to approach this? I use the package for work, and unfortunately whenever there is an update to the software, it required a re-install. I can use my package that I made, but I think it's unfortunate that any other people that rely on it can't install the application.

#2 2022-05-23 11:17:33

a821

Re: What is the correct course of action to repair a repo?

Can you disclose the package name?

If the package is objectively broken, then you can flag the package as out-of-date and submit an orphan request if they don't fix it after some time (but try to sort it out with the current maintainer first, or maybe ask for co-maintenance). In general, submitting a new package that simply fixes an existing package is not allowed. I guess this is why your "fixed" package got deleted.

As a last resort, contact the TUs by IRC or the aur-general mailiing list.

#3 2022-05-23 12:33:22

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: What is the correct course of action to repair a repo?

bajaco wrote:

but the maintainer had my package deleted.

Being more specific may help: the maintainer requested that your package be deleted.  A TU assessed the available evidence and chose to delete it.  If you feel the TU was lacking relevant information in making that decision, you should contact them to clarify the purpose or need for your package.  If they are so persuaded, you should be able to re-add your version; if they are not, then that's that: use if for yourself but let others work with the one you feel is broken.

Keep in mind it must not be *universally* broken as it almost certainly works fine for the maintainer.  So the real question is have they missed something that will impact many other people, or have you missed something or done something wrong that is breaking the package for you but is really just a PEBKAC on your end.

Telling us what the package is and what error you believe exists will help clarify this.  And frankly, it's hard not to have the absence of this information at the start of a discussion raise suspicion.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-05-23 12:35:02)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer