You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-24 14:37:39

squalou

slow detection / switch to Usb-C Display

Hi,

I've been using usb-c (alt mode) displays since 2017 on several laptops.
It's always been a hit or miss adventure but it works.

Thing is, the more year goes, the more I have to *wait* with a black screen in  order to have external screen detected.

I mean, I've tried several DE (xfce, gnome, evec a Plasma bootable distro), tried an ubuntu derivative to check : I always have to wait, sometimes 2 minutes.
(and it's *damn* long) before Xorg has ended its magic of blink and black and finally work.

The worst issue I have is with some videoconferencing systems that have embedded timeout (that I can't change), that ends before the laptop is sending signal .... so it's impossible for me to use them now.

I have absolutely no idea how to improve things.

I'm using intel hardware on all the laptops (one of which is xps13, others are less known brands), and thunderbolt 3 or 4 ports and / or usb-c. Same behaviour on all.

(note that I have slightly better results with displaylink proprietary dock stations but other issues with those)

I'm stuck to xorg for several reasons, so I did not try wayland, cannot tell you if it's better or not.

I have ansolutely no clue as towhere to start to look for info.

Any idea will be welcome !

(sidenote : on a laptop with hdmi output, hdmi switching is fast. No idea if it's relevant)

#2 2022-05-24 21:30:11

squalou

Re: slow detection / switch to Usb-C Display

(... wayland works well enough and in most cases adding env GDK_BACKEND=x11 for some cornercases seems to be working ... if nothing else works I'll stick to it, sadly since network transparency is sometimes still usefull)

Board footer