You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-25 01:51:53

buzuddha

vfio GPU passthrough inactivates host access to GPU

Hello all, I'm hoping you can clarify the behavior so I can finally understand how this is supposed to work. Failing that at least a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I'm bumbling through setting this up, but I know I'm close.

I'm attempting single GPU passthrough on a new computer. I know there are many resources and I have spent many hours reading and testing the settings therein. In fact, it works on my main rig (sort of, nosleep.service only works if I start macOS from sudo, which is key for the return to Linux post guest shutdown). I'm attempting to get this to work on my second set up. I've followed the arch OVMF PCI passthrough wiki and the rising prism guide to single GPU passthrough with success on the first computer.

The issue:

When I add vfio and associated modules to /etc/mkinitcpio.conf, give the vfio-pci ids=xxxx:xxxx in /etc/modprobe.d/vfio and regenerate the initramfs, gdm doesn't start. If I remove the modules and regenerate the initramfs, gdm starts right up after boot. Now I'm working with one GPU, so I need the DM to be able to access the device.

Don't know what I'm missing here... Anything helps! Thanks!

Last edited by buzuddha (2022-05-25 01:55:09)

Board footer