You are not logged in.

#1 2022-05-28 08:52:32

linerman

xorg.conf issue

Hi,

I've read in wiki that xorg.conf is kinda needed when using proper Nvidia driver (for GTX 1050Ti).
However, on forum I found that people have issues if xorg.conf is present.
Mine is dated when I have installed nvidia driver for the first time. There were no changes in that file during period of using my arch system. I do not have any config files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
So is that xorg.conf needed or not.
(I know that I can delete the file and check if my X would start up, but rather it is a question of improving my arch knowledge).

#2 2022-05-28 11:39:48

seth

Re: xorg.conf issue

I've read in wiki that xorg.conf is kinda needed when using proper Nvidia driver

No. Where did you read that?

You'll need some xorg configlets to control eg. the behavior of the driver or an optimus system, but you do not need a configuration per se, certainly not a static server layout and absolutely not the cruft that nvidia-settings produces.

#3 2022-05-28 11:40:13

Lone_Wolf

Majority of systems don't need an xorg.conf at all.
Automatically generated xorg.conf files as created by nvidia-settings or xorg --configure tend to make thing worse or make unneccesary changes.

There are some special cases where a conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is the best (sometimes only) solution though.
Best way to use them is to start X without any user-created conf file and only add conf files when needed.

example : my setup works best with a dpi of 109 .
I have created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/91-monitor-Dell-U2722D.conf to ensure X has the correct dimensions for my screen and will use that dpi .

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier             "DisplayPort-0"
    DisplaySize            598 336    # In millimeters
EndSection

those 4 lines are all that's in that file.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2022-05-28 11:40:49)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2022-05-29 10:37:16

linerman

Thank you for your answers as always.

seth wrote:

No. Where did you read that?

Wiki says:

However, it may be required to create a configuration file (prefer /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-nvidia.conf over /etc/X11/xorg.conf) in order to adjust various settings.

I thought that it means using different settings in my nvidia-settings equals obligation to have xorg.conf.

seth wrote:

You'll need some xorg configlets to control eg. the behavior of the driver or an optimus system, but you do not need a configuration per se, certainly not a static server layout and absolutely not the cruft that nvidia-settings produces.

I have typical desktop without any other GPU/optimus system.

Board footer