You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-04 15:47:24

fatum

[SOLVED] gpg importing keys error: Server indicated a failure

Hello! I've always been quite resourceful with figuring out solutions to arch problems, but I've been stuck on an issue for two full days already and I can't figure out wth is going on

I'm trying to install `mingw-w64-pcre` and `mingw-w64-readline`, both with the help of `yay` but also manually with `makepkg`... but they depend on gpg signatures and gpg is not being able to connect for whatever reason

```
:: PGP keys need importing:
-> 7C0135FB088AAF6C66C650B9BB5869F064EA74AB, required by: mingw-w64-readline
-> 45F68D54BBE23FB3039B46E59766E084FB0F43D8, required by: mingw-w64-pcre
==> Import? [Y/n]
:: Importing keys with gpg...
gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure
-> problem importing keys
```

Things that I've done:
1-.  I've checked the signatures manually, they exist in the keyserver and I can download them through the web browser
2-.  I've tried to install the keys manually after downloading the `.arc` file from the keyserver, but without success (never done this before anyway, so might as well be making some dumb mistake).  When I list the installed keys that gpg knows about (all three types), none of the required keys are there.
3-.  I've tried asking for the keys in verbose mode, but there is no extra info shown `gpg --verbose --recv-keys THESIG`
4-.  I've checked both the user and global gpg config files, and they correctly list the keyserver that I accessed directly through the web browser (and some other keyservers I didn't add). Server address was added in `~/.gnupg/gpg.conf`, with the line: `keyserver hkps://keys.openpgp.org`
5-.  I have rebooted my pc, and restarted the gpgagent service through systemctl, after changing the keyservers
6-.  I have both commented and removed the `validpgpkeys( ... )` line from the `PKGBUILD` file, and also configured yay to not fetch keys, but then the package fails because the signatures cannot be validated.

I think this is a problem with gpg not correctly connecting. But launching gpg with `gpg --verbose` makes no difference, so I'm really lost in how to tackle this.
Any clues on how to track what is going on? ?

Last edited by fatum (2022-06-04 17:36:46)

#2 2022-06-04 15:52:46

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] gpg importing keys error: Server indicated a failure

Well, fixing gnupg wouldn't be a bad thing, but just updating archlinux-keyring should get you past this.

EDIT: My fault, the error coming from a helper confused me. Different issue than I was thinking, ignore above.

Try the ubuntu keyserver.

Last edited by Scimmia (2022-06-04 15:54:54)

#3 2022-06-04 17:36:11

fatum

I managed to solve this, but I don't know exactly how I did it
I tracked it down to gpg not being able to connect to the servers
Someone on discord helped me, and with some of that and other things I changed in the gpg configs, it started working

The end result is the only thing I can give as advice, if someone lands here in the future from a google search or something.
Both

~/.gnupg/gpg.conf     and     /etc/pacman.d/gnupg/gpg.conf

ended as having not a single keyserver entry
It only worked properly when all the preexisting keyserver lines were removed :shrug:

#4 2022-06-20 19:23:04

TheAmigo

I had the same error: "gpg: keyserver receive failed: Server indicated a failure". So I dug into the problem:

gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --list-keys ...

failed with the same error.

ping keyserver.ubuntu.com

works.  Well, it doesn't respond to pings, but at least it returned an address.

nslookup keyserver.ubuntu.com

failed.

Why would ping work and nslookup fail?  nslookup uses /etc/resolv.conf and oddly, mine is empty.  I'm using systemd-resolved, so it should be managing that for me.  Not sure how it went wrong, but I fixed it with:

sudo ln -sf /run/systemd/resolve/stub-resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

Now gnupg is working fine.

Board footer