You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-05 09:06:46

natan

[SOLVED] Live USB mounts on /dev/sda

When installing Arch in any way (archinstall or manually), the USB used to install gets mounted on /dev/sda, which is extremely undesirable, becuase my main SSD is then put on /dev/sdb. This then causes a mismatch when dual-booting, because the other OS, Ubuntu, thinks that the main disk is on sda. When loading into arch using grub installed on Ubuntu, the system does an fsck on /dev/sda3, which does not even exist, causing the system to not boot properly.
Is there a way to switch device labels around? I also cannot edit any grub menu entries, because ubuntu is a """user friendly""" bitch, and doesn't show grub at all, even after tweaking every possible config and nvidia driver. Grub is there, because I can select menu entries, it's just that nothing shows up on my monitor.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by natan (2022-06-13 16:24:33)

#2 2022-06-05 09:15:39

jonno2002

Re: [SOLVED] Live USB mounts on /dev/sda

#3 2022-06-13 16:24:07

natan

Solved it, but in a kinda meh way.
By completely zero-ing my drive by using

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb 

the disk was recognized as sda, but only on the very next live usb boot. If I did another boot, it jumped back to sdb.
After generating my fstab with the correct disk label, it stayed like that, but after having to reinstall because of Ubuntu (turns out 22.04 reeeally doesn't like BIOS...), it went back to something else, but it didn't matter because I put in the handy-dandy -U flag when invoking genfstab.
Works, but not as intended.
Marked solved.

#4 2022-06-13 16:28:40

Scimmia
Fellow

Zeroing didn't solve anything, it's a race condition. It will move back and forth and that's NORMAL.

Using UUIDs is the fix, and everything is working as intended.

Board footer