You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-10 15:17:50

soylent_green_is_hamster

dbus stuff

Hi, can anyone clear up exactly which dbus processes I should have running

I have dbus in my list of startup daemons, but I regularily see the following error message, for example. when starting up some applications from the command line:

Unable to get session bus: Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)

if I do a 'ps -ef |grep dbus', I can see I have a system daemon running, but no session daemon.
I can start one up with 'dbus-launch', but this doesn't make any difference, and I still regularily get the error.
Can someone explain to me what's going on with this stuff, I can't seem to find a decent explanation and I'm a bit lost!

cheers for any help!

#2 2006-12-10 15:40:36

spookshow
Website

Re: dbus stuff

is hal in the daemons list?

#3 2006-12-10 15:52:57

soylent_green_is_hamster

yes - it's listed after dbus

#4 2006-12-10 17:48:46

swiergot

There are two kinds of message busses: system (HAL uses it) and session. The latter could be started per user session so that applications can talk to each other. I think GNOME users should have session bus. KDE4 will also use it. Anyway, nothing to worry about. It is ok if you have only /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system among your processes.

#5 2006-12-10 20:20:53

soylent_green_is_hamster

thanks for that explanation swiergot, clears things up for me

I am running xfce, so I don't have a sesion bus running by default, and it would make sense for application such as gnomebaker (obviously a gnome application) to try to make use of it. Which probably explains the error message i get.

Although if I were to manually start a session bus with dbus-launch, why would gnomebaker still be unable to find a session bus when it starts up?

Board footer