You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-20 23:14:26

bwbuhse

Freezes and kernel panics after install on new hardware

I recently bought a new motherboard, power supply, and case. I moved the rest of my components into the new case and then re-installed Arch after a few months on OpenSUSE. The weird thing is, I've been having kernel panics since this installation. When the freezes happen, every window freezes up and keyboard shortcuts don't do anything, but sometimes my mouse still moves around the screen (and sometimes it doesn't). It also seems like the crashes are mostly while I'm using the computer and mostly in Firefox, but that could just be because I haven't been using it for much other than Firefox and Wezterm.

Here's the output of `# journalctl -b -2`, the last boot that I had crash. If I get another crash I can add the log to this thread as well.

I've got an AMD 3700X and an Nvidia GTX 1080. For the graphics drivers, here's the output of `pacman -Qs nvidia`

❯ pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.10-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 515.48.07-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libva-nvidia-driver 0.0.6-1
    VA-API implementation that uses NVDEC as a backend
local/libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 515.48.07-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia 515.48.07-11
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-settings 515.48.07-1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
local/nvidia-utils 515.48.07-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/nvtop 2.0.1-1
    An htop like monitoring tool for NVIDIA GPUs

I tried updating my BIOS on the new motherboard but that hasn't seemed to have changed anything. I also swapped the RAM slots but the sticks are still in A2 and B2, just opposite slot they were in originally. I also ran the full 4-pass memtest86 suite and it didn't come up with any errors, so I'm not really sure what the issue could be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Just had it happen again after around an hour of using the computer. New log: http://0x0.st/ouDj.txt

Last edited by bwbuhse (2022-06-20 23:47:42)

#2 2022-06-24 20:25:14

lenhuppe
Website

Re: Freezes and kernel panics after install on new hardware

bwbuhse wrote:

I recently bought a new motherboard, power supply, and case. I moved the rest of my components into the new case and then re-installed Arch after a few months on OpenSUSE. The weird thing is, I've been having kernel panics since this installation. When the freezes happen, every window freezes up and keyboard shortcuts don't do anything, but sometimes my mouse still moves around the screen (and sometimes it doesn't). It also seems like the crashes are mostly while I'm using the computer and mostly in Firefox, but that could just be because I haven't been using it for much other than Firefox and Wezterm.

Here's the output of `# journalctl -b -2`, the last boot that I had crash. If I get another crash I can add the log to this thread as well.

I've got an AMD 3700X and an Nvidia GTX 1080. For the graphics drivers, here's the output of `pacman -Qs nvidia`

❯ pacman -Qs nvidia
local/egl-wayland 2:1.1.10-1
    EGLStream-based Wayland external platform
local/lib32-nvidia-utils 515.48.07-1
    NVIDIA drivers utilities (32-bit)
local/libva-nvidia-driver 0.0.6-1
    VA-API implementation that uses NVDEC as a backend
local/libvdpau 1.5-1
    Nvidia VDPAU library
local/libxnvctrl 515.48.07-1
    NVIDIA NV-CONTROL X extension
local/nvidia 515.48.07-11
    NVIDIA drivers for linux
local/nvidia-settings 515.48.07-1
    Tool for configuring the NVIDIA graphics driver
local/nvidia-utils 515.48.07-2
    NVIDIA drivers utilities
local/nvtop 2.0.1-1
    An htop like monitoring tool for NVIDIA GPUs

I tried updating my BIOS on the new motherboard but that hasn't seemed to have changed anything. I also swapped the RAM slots but the sticks are still in A2 and B2, just opposite slot they were in originally. I also ran the full 4-pass memtest86 suite and it didn't come up with any errors, so I'm not really sure what the issue could be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Just had it happen again after around an hour of using the computer. New log: http://0x0.st/ouDj.txt

Wezterm is gpu accelerated. Are you sure you have the gpu driver setup correctly?

You could try uninstalling Wezterm and seeing if that has any effect.

Why do we drive on the parkway and then park in the driveway?

Board footer