You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-28 20:32:29

rafaellancas

[SOLVED] Pacman, YAY(AUR), Snap and Flatpak what's the difference

As newbie user to Arch, I would like to understand the differences between these types of installation. I normally use YAY(AUR), but recently you guys told me to install Wine through pacman (I tried to install it through yay but I only got incomprehensible bugs like "unable to make"). Doing a little more research, I found that there are programs that can only be installed through flatpak or snap, and I have no idea about what are those either.  Does anyone have a link to understand these things we use to install things? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by rafaellancas (2022-06-29 03:07:05)

#2 2022-06-28 22:08:32

Adriik

Re: [SOLVED] Pacman, YAY(AUR), Snap and Flatpak what's the difference

Arch Wiki to the rescue.

rafaellancas wrote:

I normally use YAY(AUR), but recently you guys told me to install Wine through pacman (I tried to install it through yay but I only got incomprehensible bugs like "unable to make").

Yay is an AUR helper, so yay probably install from AUR if there aren't packages in repos.

To install wine, you need to enable multilib repo.

Solo soy un loco más. Please use [code] [/code] tags.
Command cheatsheetCommand not found?
If I write something wrong in English, please correct me.

#3 2022-06-28 22:29:36

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

How did you install Arch? How did you install yay?

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2022-06-28 23:49:16

rafaellancas

Thank you so much!!! I'm going to read those things!

In relation to how I installed Arch, I downloaded the iso from the oficial website and followed the tutorial on the wiki. As for the YAY, I followed a tutorial in which I had to git clone the folder and use make/install commands to install it.

#5 2022-06-29 00:07:05

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

rafaellancas wrote:

I found that there are programs that can only be installed through flatpak or snap

Such as?  This is exceedingly rare, and any actual examples would be limited to a small subset of proprietary / closed-source software.

In order of precedence how you should install software (IMnsHO):

1) From the arch linux repos
2) From the AUR using makepkg
3) From a PKGBUILD you write yourself and then submit to the AUR if you suspect others may value it too
4) Ask someone else to write a PKGBUILD for it
5) Beg someone else to write a PKGBUILD for it.
6) Go without said software
7) Poke a stick in your eye
8) Use snap or flatpak.

rafaellancas wrote:

I followed a tutorial in which I had to git clone the folder and use make/install commands to install it.

That was a bad tutorial to follow.  Assuming one wants yay, that is not the way to install it.  Manually running make / make install did not even register on my list above.  For locally installed software (installed under /home/ not to the root filesystem) this is fine, but for installing system-wide I think this approach would register roughly as a tie for #7 with a stick in the eye.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-06-29 00:11:53)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2022-06-29 00:12:59

loqs

rafaellancas wrote:

As for the YAY, I followed a tutorial in which I had to git clone the folder and use make/install commands to install it.

This can cause Pacman Failed to commit transaction (conflicting_files) as files not installed by pacman are untracked.

Please reconsider using yay or any other AUR helper until you are more familiar with the function of pacman and makepkg.  You intended to install wine which is in the official repositories.  As such it can not be in AUR as AUR packages may not have the same name as packages in the official repositories.  So what you attempted to install using yay was something probably with wine in the name but not infact wine.

#7 2022-06-29 00:23:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

FYI, rafaellancas, you have a long string of threads on these forums all of which you have abandonned.  Some of them appear solved, and you have even been politely directed to mark them as such, but you have not.  Others have stopped when people request diagnostics information from you and you fail to respond.  Several of them have noted that you need to learn how makepkg and the AUR works before using a helper like yay, yet you persist.

You appear unwilling or unable to accept and apply advice you receive from knowledgeable members of this community.  This begs the question as to why you keep seeking it.  It also raises the question of how long community members will continue trying to offer helpful advice when it appears to consistently fall on deaf ears.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2022-06-29 01:24:47

bulletmark

Trilby wrote:

7) Poke a stick in your eye
8) Use snap or flatpak.

LOL. Surely snap or flatpack is "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick" Trilby!

#9 2022-06-29 01:55:39

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

A sharp stick was number 9.

#10 2022-06-29 02:55:08

rafaellancas

Trilby wrote:

FYI, rafaellancas, you have a long string of threads on these forums all of which you have abandonned.  Some of them appear solved, and you have even been politely directed to mark them as such, but you have not.  Others have stopped when people request diagnostics information from you and you fail to respond.  Several of them have noted that you need to learn how makepkg and the AUR works before using a helper like yay, yet you persist.

You appear unwilling or unable to accept and apply advice you receive from knowledgeable members of this community.  This begs the question as to why you keep seeking it.  It also raises the question of how long community members will continue trying to offer helpful advice when it appears to consistently fall on deaf ears.

I'm sorry, but I fail to remember when it happened, but I'll look into answer the topics I left right now!

As for the stopping using yay part, yes, I did stopped, but I created this topic just to ask why I should stop using it, and I installed wine through pacman, following Seth's advice (thank you again Seth). And thank you too for helping out again! I believe I'm starting to understand  what is AUR and how it works, and I'll look into installing yay the proper way (specially 'cause I'm getting a lot of bizarre bugs in some programs).

#11 2022-06-29 03:44:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

rafaellancas wrote:

I'm sorry, ... I'll look into answer the topics I left right now!

Thanks.  I'll be happy to see my concern was misplaced.

Last edited by Trilby (2022-06-29 03:44:28)

#12 2022-06-29 03:47:51

rafaellancas

Trilby wrote:
rafaellancas wrote:

I'm sorry, ... I'll look into answer the topics I left right now!

Thanks.  I'll be happy to see my concern was misplaced.

Thank you for your patience and support!

Board footer