You are not logged in.

#1 2022-06-30 15:16:01

ronate

Prevent uninstalling chromium extension.

Is there a way to prevent removing a chromium extension.

I use an extension LeechBlock to force myself to work and don't procrastinate, I configured it to block all sites except a whitelist of sites that I need, the problem is that it's very easy to cheat and uninstall the extension, and when I see I spend 2 hours watching videos on YouTube.

I managed to make it work on Windows (Sorry if this name is not allowed here), by creating a rule on the Registry and then using Cold Turkey to block my access to the registry, I don't know how to make it work on Arch, and I found nothing on the web about it. I tried removing write permission on .config/chromium/Default/Extensions but no success.

Last edited by ronate (2023-06-06 00:50:53)

#2 2022-06-30 15:29:26

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Prevent uninstalling chromium extension.

Make someone else the administrator of your system?

Also, with respect and compassion, perhaps you could seek help for your compulsion?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-06-30 16:13:30

ronate

Thank you for the response,

I'll look more into system administration.

My last resort will be to block some time consuming sites on the hosts file and change the root password to something I won't remember and store it somewhere else, but I really would like to figure out a way to prevent uninstalling extensions.

Thanks for the concern btw, but for me it's just a mater of blocking these sites and I get a lot of work done.

#4 2022-06-30 17:56:46

twelveeighty

For your actual question: look into school / kids Internet blocking applications such as https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dansguardian and its fork https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/e2guardian; they specialize in "safe" browsing, where you can block specific sites. I do not use them myself, but know of them.

Respectfully, though, you are fooling yourself in the literal sense: hiding things from your 'demon' self and thinking your 'angel' self won't use it to do something out of compulsion sounds to me like an addiction/OCD pattern that requires medical attention. I'm not judging or telling you what to do (nor am I a professional); take it for what it's worth.

#5 2022-06-30 19:56:08

seth

You cannot lock yourself out of a system that you've physical access to.
You might lack the knowledge to get around certain restrictions, but in that case you're using the wrong distro and also, unless you're *really* dense, you'll gain that knowledge once you establish those restrictions.
(No, "forgetting" a password is not gonna help - also not having root access to a system you maintain is a no-option)

And your approach is also ignoring that there're multple other ways to play youtube videos (different browser, dedicated youtube clients, media player plugins - I barely ever use the youtube webbpage)

Have somebody setup a firewall (or simple IP witelist in your router) that is physically locked away from you (in a windowless room w/ at least a solid wooden, better steel door - regular room doors are very easy to break or break open) - or set it up yourself and hand the key to somebody else.

Alternatively work on your actual problem - set some timeframes where you're allowed to do some nonsense and remind yourself w/ cron jobs/sysd-timers.
This way you structure your habits and then can start to limit the nonsense-time gradually.

Board footer