You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-06 19:07:36

hbede

System hangs on reboot/shutdown, SDDM does not stop correctly

Hello everyone!

I have been using Arch for a few weeks with KDE Plasma/X11. I switched to Wayland, and now every time at reboot and shutdown the system hangs on, displaying the following:

A stop job is running for Simple Desktop Display Manager. X/1m30s

This happens only in Wayland, and the problem is not present when I log out before shutdown/reboot.

Steps to reproduce:
- Log out
- Switch to Wayland
- Reboot

What I have tried:
- Logging out before reboot (works, but I am not satisfied)
- Setting stop time from 90s to 15s (just a workaround, obviously not a fix)
- adding

kernel.core_pattern=core

to

/etc/sysctl.d/50-coredump.conf

(did nothing)
- upgrading system
*EDIT*
- also tried switching to tty1, then shutdown is immediate (but not a real solution)

Please help me find a solution! I found other threads about this problem, but they did not help me.

Kernel: 5.18.9-arch1-1
DE: Plasma 5.25.2
WM: kwin
WM Theme: Breeze
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800HS with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 2.900GHz
GPU0: AMD ATI 04:00.0 Renoir
GPU1: NVIDIA GTX 1660TI

Last edited by hbede (2022-07-12 22:45:52)

#2 2022-07-12 15:40:13

Mr-Pepe

Re: System hangs on reboot/shutdown, SDDM does not stop correctly

I have the same problem. It seems that SDDM is running on tty1 but the Wayland session is started on tty2. Have you tried switching to tty1 with Ctrl + Alt + F1 when you get the message? That makes the shutdown procedure continue on my machine. Still not very nice though.

#3 2022-07-12 20:08:47

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you want to test "experimental" software you can try sddm-git which has native wayland support itself and also takes more care to react to wayland sessions disappearing.

#4 2022-07-12 22:40:20

hbede

Mr-Pepe wrote:

Have you tried switching to tty1 with Ctrl + Alt + F1 when you get the message?

Yes, it also works, when I switch to tty1 shutdown is immediate, but I don't want to do this at every shutdown.

#5 2022-07-12 22:42:16

hbede

V1del wrote:

...you can try sddm-git which has native wayland support...

Interesting, I'll have a look on that! Thanks.

#6 2022-07-12 22:52:43

hbede

Could someone help me to understand why this happens? Why only in a Wayland session?

#7 2022-07-12 22:58:28

V1del
Forum Moderator

A bug in SDDM likely because "logically" speaking on an X session it can just keep running in the background (on the same X server it originally started) and wait for the session to end, while on Wayland (while SDDM itself runs a Xorg server) it absolutely needs to start a new TTY so the graphics devices are free to be grabbed by Wayland. When the KDE session ends the KDE session ends, but the current mechanism used by SDDM probably only runs/checks for whether that's the case when it is the active TTY, which it isn't anymore.

#8 2022-09-23 15:45:34

jongeduard

hbede wrote:
Mr-Pepe wrote:

Have you tried switching to tty1 with Ctrl + Alt + F1 when you get the message?

Yes, it also works, when I switch to tty1 shutdown is immediate, but I don't want to do this at every shutdown.

I have the exact same issues on one of my installations on my desktop pc, where have KDE Plasman & SDDM installed.
Loging out before reboot is one way te get around, manually switching to TTY1 also works indeed. Very strange.

But changing systemd's timeout setting is bad practice in my opinion and not what want to do, because systemd giving processes sufficient time to quit when they sometimes need it is a good thing, forcing hard process kills after little seconds is obviously not and might eventually lead to other system issues.

My suspicion is that the problem with SDDM could be related to multi-monitor usage - like many other issues that I have. But I am not sure of course.
I am using my HDMI-port to send audio to an AV receiver while using my Dell monitor as a primary monitor directly via Display port from my pc (HDMI is only 30Hz supported on this monitor that's why).
Still my system also sends video to the AV receiver which makes it count as a 2nd monitor.

More generally, a lot all those issues are often NVIDIA specific (even on Windows I have certain issues with monitor setup), but especially in combination with Wayland (basically Wayland is still not fully ready for NVIDIA if you ask me) things are worse on Linux.

The many bugs/problems are still why I am still not actively using KDE at all (even though I like it). I am also experiencing issues with the application launcher and for a long time many GTK applications did not run at all.
My focus for KDE here is on Wayland usage only since on Xorg things are a lot more stable but also perform a lot worse graphically so that is not what I want either, Wayland is the future anyway.

For me on this machine Xfce works still the best without issues (but yeah, that is Xorg again), GNOME works resonably well, but KDE sadly not. I know because I have them all each on a separate Arch system.

Last edited by jongeduard (2022-09-23 15:48:59)

#9 2023-05-15 19:46:15

s3rgi

Installing sddm-git from AUR fixed the problem

On kde bugs are on status RESOLVED UPSTREAM: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=445449

Board footer