You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-07 04:41:48

despacito

Custom keyboard layout fails to show on menu: Arch running latest lxqt

Good evening to all. I'm attempting to create a new variant to the traditional latam keyboard, this one with the braces in the place of the tilde and + sign.
I modified /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/latam to reflect this changes, the relevant part being;

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "4devs" {

include "latam(basic)"

name[Group1]="Spanish (Latin American, 4devs)";

key <AD11>    { [braceleft, bracketleft, dead_circumflex, braceleft]    };
    key <AD12>    { [braceright,bracketright, dead_grave,   braceright]    };
    key <AC11>    { [dead_acute, dead_diaeresis, dead_diaeresis, dead_abovering]    };

key <BKSL>    { [plus,   asterisk,   asciitilde,  dead_macron ]    };

include "level3(ralt_switch)"
};

Note: my variant is named 4devs, as it eases the access to the braces and curly braces.

And after that, I changed both the evdev.xml and base.xml files on /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules .

<variant>
<configItem>
<name>4devs</name>
<description>Spanish (Latin American, 4devs)</description>
</configItem>
</variant>

inside the variantlist under latam keyboards.

However, it doesn't show in the variants list, even after full restart and logout:

I have already donde this process before on kubuntu without a problem, and I was wondering if I did something wrong because arch is different from ubuntu or something. If you could please help me in any way, I'd thank you very much.

#2 2022-07-07 06:44:23

seth

Re: Custom keyboard layout fails to show on menu: Arch running latest lxqt

Can you select the variant w/ setxkbmap?
Maybe the "menu" (I assume something lxqt specific?) uses a cache of the XML data - do you get the entry for a fresh account?

#3 2022-07-07 14:54:09

despacito

Man I didn't know you could change kb layouts from the terminal line. I used the setxkbmap command and It worked fine. Thanks for the reply!
Note: after setting my kb to my variant, it still doesn't show up in the settings menu. I think it has to do something about the way lxqt goes for resource efficiency and doesn't bother reloading things or something like that. It would be great if one day I could get it show on the menu, but for now I'm happy with the results.

Thanks for the simple yet effective alternative.

#4 2022-07-07 15:21:48

seth

Since this sounds like you're setting the layout on every login, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg/K … tion_files

#5 2022-07-08 03:57:08

despacito

Thanks, I looked at it and tried many of the solutions described. However, none of them worked. I added the command "setxkbmap latam 4devs" on /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, but on starup it doesn't run as intended. I think my only hope would be to use localectl, but I don't know how to add my variant to that system, as running the command  "localectl list-x11-keymap-variants latam" gives me the default options and not my 4devs custom variant. If you could help me find that configuration file to add my variant in, It would be awesome. Thanks in advance for your time.

#6 2022-07-08 07:34:09

seth

I added the command "setxkbmap latam 4devs" on /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

1. You're supposed to copy and edit ~/.xinitrc
2. Unless you're using xinit, startx or xdm, that's not gonna be executed

I think my only hope would be to use localectl, but

localectl will simply add an Xorg configlet in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d - you can use it to create that file w/ the regular variant and then enter your own. (Xorg doesn't care about the specific filename, but some wayland compositors might - otherwise you could add "some" configlet)

#7 2022-07-08 15:17:35

despacito

I sort of resolved the issue of automatic layout switching by just creating  an automated task from the lxqt preferences tab. I set it to run a command: "qterminal -e setxkbmap latam 4devs" and it worked. Thanks for your fast replies and guidance man!

Last edited by despacito (2022-07-08 15:42:27)

#8 2022-07-08 15:51:21

seth

You don't have to execute that in a terminal.

Board footer