You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-14 09:27:07

interdimensionalborat

Python File Conflicts Preventing Update

Hey everyone, first time posting.

I installed python to use with a few programs, and it was working fine for a while, until a few days ago when I started having issues updating my repositories.

I go to update my repos as normal, using:

sudo pacman -Sy
sudo pacman -Syu

Everything will be going fine, up until it checks for conflicts. This is the error that I receive:

(232/232) checking keys in keyring                                                               [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(232/232) checking package integrity                                                             [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(232/232) loading package files                                                                  [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
(232/232) checking for file conflicts                                                            [--------------------------------------------------------] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
python-ujson: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ujson-5.4.0.dist-info/LICENSE.txt exists in filesystem
python-ujson: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ujson-5.4.0.dist-info/METADATA exists in filesystem
python-ujson: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ujson-5.4.0.dist-info/RECORD exists in filesystem
python-ujson: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ujson-5.4.0.dist-info/WHEEL exists in filesystem
python-ujson: /usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/ujson-5.4.0.dist-info/top_level.txt exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

I've been searching for a solution for a few days and I can't seem to get anything to work. I'm fairly new to Archlinux, and I am really loving it, but this issue has been very evasive. I thank everyone for their help in advance.

#2 2022-07-14 11:41:07

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Python File Conflicts Preventing Update

interdimensionalborat wrote:

I've been searching for a solution for a few days...

really??

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2022-07-14 14:21:19

ewaller
Administrator

The real question, how did those files that we are going to overwrite get there in the first place?  Have we, by chance, been using the pip command as root?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2022-07-14 17:15:21

interdimensionalborat

ewaller wrote:

The real question, how did those files that we are going to overwrite get there in the first place?  Have we, by chance, been using the pip command as root?

Yeah, I did...and I only realized I wasn't supposed to do that after I had already done the damage. How would I go about over writing them?

I appreciate the help, and feel like an idiot, I really need to pay more attention to what I'm typing in terminal sometimes.

#5 2022-07-14 17:35:59

ewaller
Administrator

This would be one of those situations that is appropriate to use the --overwrite switch in pacman as described in the article Trilby linked.
Or, you can remove them by hand first, then run pacman.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2022-07-14 17:43:06

interdimensionalborat

ewaller wrote:

This would be one of those situations that is appropriate to use the --overwrite switch in pacman as described in the article Trilby linked.
Or, you can remove them by hand first, then run pacman.

I had tried to remove them by hand, but the option to move them to trash was greyed out, and I'm not sure why? Is it because it's in root?

#7 2022-07-14 19:09:53

seth

That depends on the inferior GUI filemanager you chose, but you'll need root privileges to delete those files - yes.
Afaiu a couple of FMs rely on gvfs to allow you to leverage your rights.
And of course you can always just "sudo rm" them.

#8 2022-07-14 19:33:10

dogknowsnx

Excuse the bluntness, but how did you install arch?

RI - Rest your Eyes and Self

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Maynard James Keenan

#9 2022-07-14 19:41:30

interdimensionalborat

dogknowsnx wrote:

Excuse the bluntness, but how did you install arch?

I just used the calamares installer and a usb drive. It's my first week or so using Arch. Prior to Arch I mainly used MX, Kubuntu, Debian, and Pop OS. I'm currently running Arcolinux.

#10 2022-07-14 19:55:54

ewaller
Administrator

I am going to go pedantic on you.  You are not running Arch Linux.  You are running Calamares Linux.  I appreciate that you are learning Linux and are working through your issues to learn.   
The problem is that we have absolutely zero idea how Calamares systems are configured.  What is worse, you certainly have no idea how they configured your machine either.

I am going to present you a challenge.  As you have only been working with Calamares for a week, and have gained some knowledge of pacman, why don't you cut your losses at this point and install Arch Linux -- meaning you follow our installation guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide

We can, and will be happy to help if you run into issues.  We cannot, and won't help with Calamares.  Not because we are trying to be elite or snobbish, but because these forums are intended as a reference for Arch Linux, and we do not choose to confuse things by including information that may not be applicable to a pure Arch system.

Last edited by ewaller (2022-07-14 19:56:13)

---

#11 2022-07-14 23:15:49

interdimensionalborat

ewaller wrote:

I am going to go pedantic on you.  You are not running Arch Linux.  You are running Calamares Linux.  I appreciate that you are learning Linux and are working through your issues to learn.   
The problem is that we have absolutely zero idea how Calamares systems are configured.  What is worse, you certainly have no idea how they configured your machine either.

I am going to present you a challenge.  As you have only been working with Calamares for a week, and have gained some knowledge of pacman, why don't you cut your losses at this point and install Arch Linux -- meaning you follow our installation guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide

We can, and will be happy to help if you run into issues.  We cannot, and won't help with Calamares.  Not because we are trying to be elite or snobbish, but because these forums are intended as a reference for Arch Linux, and we do not choose to confuse things by including information that may not be applicable to a pure Arch system.

I didn't even realize, thank you so much! I would love to learn more, and I appreciate all the help.

I'll be honest, other than using Ubuntu about 7-8 years ago, and then starting to learn Linux again in the past 9 months, I have very little experience. I very much support free and open source software, and the philosophy behind it. I hope to switch to Linux exclusively as a personal daily driver within the next few months, but I have so much to learn. Everything that I've learned about operating systems whether it be personally, or in course work has been through the lens of windows, or alternatively Mac OS, I have yet to really experience anything significant with linux outside of my personal usage of it.

Is Arcolinux not ArchLinux? I see that I should have done a lot more research before trying out Arch. There's so many differences just between something like Kubuntu and Arch that the learning curve is something that is challenging me.

I'll cut my losses now, since it really hasn't been long that I've had arco installed. Later on today I'll try to give installing Arch a shot. I'll post another topic if I run into problems.

Thank you again everyone for your help, I am excited to try this out, and learn more about it.

#12 2022-07-15 06:44:52

seth

Is Arcolinux not ArchLinux?

Nope, it's a derivate that uses pacman and I guess some repos.
But those derivates, often selling "You too can say 'Running arch, btw'", contradict what's the idea behind LFS distros like arch and gentoo by setting up the system for you.

They're like Pottery Barn while Arch is a hardware store.
You get everything you need to do it, but you'll build the system yourself.

And because you built it, not only will it be tailor-fit. But when something rattles, you'll aready have a good idea on where to look and how to fix it.
Or you just dropped a bit ;-)

Board footer