You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-19 23:19:17

biscotty666

[Solved]org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a broken system. The last thing I did was install/reinstall the nvidia driver so I imagine it has to do with that. Anyway I booted the arch-installer from usb and have chrooted into the installation. When I run pacman -S or any variant it gives the above error with a GBus ServiceUnknown when Refreshing PackageKit. I tried to pacman -S packagekit itself but it fails with the same error. Is it because of chroot somehow?

Last edited by biscotty666 (2022-07-20 14:40:01)

#2 2022-07-20 08:21:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [Solved]org.freedesktop.PackageKit was not provided by any .service

Yes you won't have a proper dbus session in the chroot. Hower this error and this package should be irrelevant towards any actual pacman operation. Does anything actually "fail" or is it just a post install hook that doesn't run for packagekit? That is harmless.

#3 2022-07-20 12:42:06

biscotty666

Thanks for the reply. I was concerned because running pacman -S a second time it doesn't say up to date but instead wants to install the package again. This is the case for most if not all of the packages I've tried to reinstall.

I should mention about my primary problem that the machine seems to hang at the point of launching the login screen.

Last edited by biscotty666 (2022-07-20 12:45:47)

#4 2022-07-20 13:19:52

V1del
Forum Moderator

-S with an explicit package name always prompts for package reinstallaton doesn't matter which package and that error is harmless. If you want to check whether the system is up to date you do a

pacman -Syu

without an explicitly named package.

You should open a new thread about your actual issue and check whether you can switch to a different TTY during the "hang" (Ctrl+Alt+F2 for example) then post the output of

sudo journalctl -b

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

If you can't switch the VT then try whether you can boot omitting the display manager by adding

systemd.unit=multi-user.target

to your kernel parameters: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Kernel_parameters

#5 2022-07-20 14:18:49

biscotty666

Thank you for explaining about pacman -S.

I appended systemd.unit=multi-user.target as a boot parameter and the system does boot. Is this the equivalent of the old-style booting into run level 3?

Now I can check journals anyway. Thanks again.

Board footer