You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-13 20:48:19

hugin

kernel panic on boot, pata_via not piix

ok, this is now a more informational post than anything.  I upgraded my kernel this afternoon and have now spent the better part of 2 hours trying to figure out why I was getting a kernel panic.  This is my story.

First some pertinent system info, for people who might be having the same problem:
lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8377 [KT400/KT600 AGP] Host Bridge
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 PCI Bridge
00:10.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev 80)
00:10.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 82)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8235 ISA Bridge
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
00:12.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 74)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

hwdetect --show-modules:

AGP    : agpgart via-agp 
IDE    : ide-core generic via82cxxx 
SCSI   : sd_mod sg sr_mod 
SATA   : ata_generic libata pata_via 
USB    : usb-storage usblp usbhid usbcore ehci-hcd uhci-hcd 
NET    : via-ircc mii ppp_generic slhc via-rhine irda 
SOUND  : snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd snd-mpu401-uart snd-ac97-bus snd-ac97-codec snd-via82xx soundcore 
VIDEO  : nvidia 
OTHER  : cdrom lp ppdev rtc i2c-viapro i2c-core evdev ff-memless gameport pcspkr psmouse serio_raw parport parport_pc pci_hotplug shpchp crc-ccitt ata_generic libata pata_via

Even though I don't use the piix module, my device nodes changed to sd?.  I got to where kinit takes over from the initrd, and guess what kernel panic.  So I knew i was in a rough bind, when the earlymodules=piix didn't work.  So I kept trying combinations of modules in the MODULES array in my /etc/mkinitcpio.conf.  What I finally got working includes 'pata_via, sd_mod, and via82cxxx'.  I'm not 100% positive, but I think I could take out the via82cxxx and it would still work; but it finally works so I'm not touching it.  Anyway, for the longest time I was ignoring the SCSI part of hwdetect, thinking I'm not running scsi.  well, once I added the sd_mod module, no more kernel panic.

This has been my experience with it on this machine.  YMMV.  Hope this can help someone.

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#2 2006-12-13 23:46:12

brain0
Developer

Re: kernel panic on boot, pata_via not piix

pata_via shouldn't have been included in your default image, unless you enabled the pata hook (which it is by default in fallback). You could have fixed the problem with the parameter "earlymodules=via82cxxx".

#3 2006-12-14 03:56:20

hugin

Re: kernel panic on boot, pata_via not piix

thanks brain0,

I have a feeling that the machine I was having the issues on won't be around much longer; at least running linux (or if it stays linux, it prob won't run arch).  See I'm graduating, and leaving my workstudy position, so the machine I was working on, will prob get formated to win2k next semester, when they need it for an oracle DB class.  And I'm basically the last work study they had that was interested enough to put time into making the machines dual-boot, and try out other distributions.  Thanks for the info, I'll keep it in mind if anything changes with my tower (runs nvidia chips all over) in the future.

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

Board footer