You are not logged in.

#1 2022-07-21 07:24:06

Rabid3east

[SOLVED] NFS Fstab has long bootup

I setup my NFS share on truenas with no_root_squash until I can figure out a better alternative. Not sure if no_root_squash is ideal? Scale isn't allowing my to us squash_all currently.

# Fstab

192.168.88.156:/mnt/tank/exlie /mnt/seykota nfs rw,hard,timeo=900,retrans=5,_netdev 0 0

Is there a setting in there or one that I'm missing that is causing my delay? I'm about to give up on mounting it and maybe that's the answer? Just SSH into it for backups on a cron job with a bash script?

Last edited by Rabid3east (2022-07-21 15:12:50)

#2 2022-07-21 07:56:39

kermit63

Re: [SOLVED] NFS Fstab has long bootup

It's been a while since I used NFS so my memory may not be accurate. IIRC, the noauto option will prevent the system from mounting the NFS share automatically during boot. It will only attempt to mount when the NFS share is initially accessed.

#3 2022-07-21 10:41:02

V1del
Forum Moderator

See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NFS#Mo … th_systemd for a base set of fstab option that will lead to an on-demand mounting process rather than thinking the drive is required and then blocking indefinitely while waiting for a network connection.

#4 2022-07-21 13:16:38

Rabid3east

I have a SMB share that I access with the fstab with zero issues and it connects during the boot just the same so I know it's not the network. I've tried going the system.md method but it just times up with 'permission denied'. Not sure why unix shares have to be so difficult. Seems silly to me that a windows shares connects easier to linux then an actual linux share. I've been all up and down that wiki page and sourcing other forums trying to solve this.

#5 2022-07-21 13:54:17

seth

And how does it connect the SMB share?
Also, how long is the "long bootup" and did you check systemd-analyze blame/critical chain on whether the NFS is actually the culprit?
And what does the system journal say about the boot stall? (sudo journalct -b)

#6 2022-07-21 15:12:27

Rabid3east

seth wrote:

And how does it connect the SMB share?
Also, how long is the "long bootup" and did you check systemd-analyze blame/critical chain on whether the NFS is actually the culprit?
And what does the system journal say about the boot stall? (sudo journalct -b)

I probably should have started with error checking, but ended up solving the issue by once again trying to mount the NFS via fstab with system.md but this time removing the no_root_squash in Truenas Scale or root:root in the NFS shares setting and with my something more traditional? User/Group with matching UID and GID. I had done that prior but maybe not in the system.md boot. Now it seems everything is working fine. Hopefully this helps somebody.

Board footer