You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-08 05:02:58

AngryBeing

[SOLVED] Terminal freezes for every command regarding the Nvidia GPU

Hello,

I have a (gaming) laptop (Dell G15) which uses an hybrid graphics setup; the main environment apparently uses the intel iGPU drivers, but my laptop has an RTX 3050m.

I have the nvidia drivers and other nvidia related packages installed, however, any time I try to bring up nvidia related commands on the terminal it completely hangs. Doing some googling, there was someone else here with the same problem (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=274405&p=2) but the "solution" was not a real solution as the person had to switch laptops.

So any of the following commands results in freezing:

nvidia-smi

(works fine on Windows but not on my Arch install, on the same machine)

nvidia-settings

(does not open at all)

prime-run glxgears

(this tries to use GPU acceleration to render, freezes and nothing opens meanwhile running it without "prime-run" works and displays as expected since it's using the Intel drivers and not nvidia's)

I cannot debug it at all since it freezes without any output.

lspci | grep VGA

outputs:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation TigerLake-H GT1 [UHD Graphics] (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GA107M [GeForce RTX 3050 Mobile] (rev a1)

and

xrandr --listproviders

outputs:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x47 cap: 0xb, Source Output, Sink Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 5 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:Intel

So while my Nvidia card is being detected by the kernel, it is not showing up as a provider for X for some reason.

What do you suggest and what could be the problem?

Thank you

Last edited by AngryBeing (2022-08-09 04:28:26)

#2 2022-08-09 04:27:40

AngryBeing

Re: [SOLVED] Terminal freezes for every command regarding the Nvidia GPU

I managed to fix it.

This problem happens on Linux Kernel 5.18 when you have an Nvidia card and an Intel CPU.

I fixed it by using the following steps:

sudo nano /et/default/grub

Then changing GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT to also include ibt=off among the parameters.

Then I saved, and executed:

sudo update-grub
reboot

Then the laptop should detect the Nvidia card just fine.

Board footer