You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-10 18:14:04

Terrior

Keyboard slow to initialize on login screen (due to mouse)

I use Arch on my desktop computer. My keyboard has been slow to initialize in Arch during login. This happens on multiple display managers (tested on Ly and TUI-Greet). My keyboard works instantly in grub, but during login I have to wait around 5 seconds so I can finally type in my login info.

After researching this issue online for a while I've realized that the issue is actually my mouse. When I unplug my mouse (a Gwolves 1000hz mouse), the issue is gone and I can use my keyboard as soon as the login prompt shows up. If I plug in my mouse to any usb slot on my machine, the slow startup comes back. I've heard the issue may be the high polling rate, but I have no idea how to confirm this or how to fix the issue.

Note: This issue does not happen on Windows 10, I dual-boot on this machine.

#2 2022-08-10 20:20:27

seth

Re: Keyboard slow to initialize on login screen (due to mouse)

#3 2022-08-11 04:59:03

Terrior

My mouse is wired and does not use bluetooth. I ran the commands listed in the wiki page and confirmed that yes my mouse is running at 1000hz / 1ms. However I'm still not sure how to fix the issue of the keyboard waiting a few seconds to initialize when the mouse is plugged in. Ideally I'd like my mouse to continue working at its current polling rate as well.

#4 2022-08-11 05:53:25

seth

1st of all you could test your theory by passing "usbhid.mousepoll=4" to the kernel.
Next, I'd look into the system journal or dmesg to figure whether there're any messages related to the involved devices (or the bus) during the delay.

#5 2022-08-15 20:18:11

Terrior

I just moved my computer into my college dorm over the last few days. After turning my computer back on, the issue has completely gone away for no particular reason. Maybe it was the USB ports my peripherals were connected to, or maybe something else? I haven't touched any software, and haven't swapped out any hardware at all, so I have no idea, but my issue is now resolved without a clear solution.

Board footer