You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-22 18:28:54

smaTc

Cinnamon-Screensaver not accepting password after display turn-off

Hello everyone,
I got a very weird problem recently.
When the cinnamon-screensaver locks and the display turn-off was triggered, my password won't be accepted by the screensaver anymore and the account is locked immediately for 10 minutes. Does anyone have any clue what could cause this? I never had this issue and only found some posts about this problem on Ubuntu with some permission problems.
If I trigger the screensaver manually or enter the password before the screen is turned-off the password is accepted. Any clues or ideas how I can find the source of the problem?

Thanks

#2 2022-08-24 20:39:23

extropian
Website

Re: Cinnamon-Screensaver not accepting password after display turn-off

Just came here to confirm that I'm having a similar issue and it only recently started to happen.

A couple notes to add regarding what I'm experiencing to help narrow down our issue:
- My drive is encrypted via LUKS
- It doesn't happen right away. I can manually lock it, and it will accept my password just fine. When I return to the machine after it's been left on overnight is when I experience the issue.
- I noticed that the on-screen keyboard on the lockscreen does not correctly layout a US-keyboard. The letter's "Y" and "Z" are swapped. Regardless, if I type my password via my own keyboard or the onscreen keyboard with the swapped letters, the password is rejected.

I'm running cinnamon 5.4.9-1 and lightdm 1:1.32.0-1. Also running Linux 5.19.3-arch1-1.

#3 2022-08-25 11:54:39

spsf64
Website

Many cinnamon packages are flagged "out-of-date" as of today, including cinnamon itself (now 5.4.11) and cinnamon-screensaver (now 5.4.4).
I updated/created all packages myself and don't have any errors. Maybe wait for updated packages or report problem to cinnamon developers.

Sergio S.

#4 2022-11-01 01:16:19

t3pfaffe

I am still encountering this issue on cinnamon-screensaver 5.4.4. Any solutions to this yet?

#5 2022-11-01 08:16:37

seth

1. open a root shell on a different TTY (in case you lock yourself out)
2. in /etc/pam.d/system-auth, comment (prepend "#" at the beginning of the line) *every* single line that has "pam_systemd_home.so" in it (and save the file)
3. lock the system w/ cinnabun-screensweetener and see whether you can unlock
4. if not, close the locker w/ "DISPLAY=:0 cinnamon-screensaver-command -d" from your root shell (you may have to sudo into your regular user, but do NOT close the root shell) and test whether you can still login on yet another TTY or "sudo -i" in a  VTE or whatever, just make sure that you didn't accidentally break pam (if you just commented homed correctly, that's not gonna happen)

#6 2022-11-02 15:59:05

extropian
Website

t3pfaffe wrote:

I am still encountering this issue on cinnamon-screensaver 5.4.4. Any solutions to this yet?

I have not found a solution (other than switching desktop environments entirely which is what I ended up doing) but wanted to add more notes on the issue. I posted a thread in the Linux Mint forum, but it hasn't been very helpful.

After dealing with this issue for several weeks, I realized that tapping ESC a couple times on the lockscreen will automatically lock me out for 10 minutes. A message indicating that it's locked is displayed for a fraction of a second and I hadn't noticed it before. It seems to be effecting Arch and Arch based distros because my girlfriend was on Manjaro using the Cinnamon Desktop community edition and was having the same exact issue. I don't think that hitting ESC a few times is the only thing that triggers the 10 minute lockout, but it was something I was able to replicate.

Board footer