You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-16 15:45:23

desertViking

Wireless problems after upgrade ndiswrapper

Hi,

I've been using a Netgear wireless PCI card with ndiswrapper and Arch since October 2005.

I upgraded last night and I'm now having difficulty.  During boot, the network start fails.  In the past, changing the kernel will cause me to have to recompile ndiswrapper, so I downloaded 1.31 on another machine, and recompiled it on the PC in question.

I've installed the module, and probed it.  I run "iwlist" and I can see my network hub and the normal candidates in the neighborhood.  I can set the ESSID, but for some reason the last character of the network host name gets dropped when displayed with iwconfig. 

I can set the key, and iwconfig shows the key correctly.  But when I attach via dhcpcd, it hangs for a long time without getting an IP address.  I tried connecting to my neighbors hub which is not WEP enabled, but again no soap.

Has anyone else seen something like this?

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#2 2006-12-16 17:10:20

desertViking

Re: Wireless problems after upgrade ndiswrapper

Googling I found this link:

http://lists.shmoo.com/pipermail/hostap … 14284.html

I tried as mentioned in this link to set the essid like this:

iwconfig wlan0 essid "MYESSID "

including a space in the key name.  This seems to work.  Apparently there is a mismatch between the kernel and the wireless tools that needs to be rectified.  I haven't checked to see if this will work in the /etc/network-profiles script.

Last edited by desertViking (2007-02-08 16:33:22)

"In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is."

#3 2006-12-16 17:14:57

desertViking

The space is stripped if the ESSID variable is set this way using quotes in the scripts.  The only way to get this to work for the moment is to set it by hand, as far as I can tell.  I've entered a bug report.

#4 2006-12-16 20:20:56

Moo-Crumpus

Thank you!

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer