You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-16 16:10:27

fdac

Monitor rotation to portrait orientation

Hi,

I've got a ViewSonic VP930B 19" LCD screen which I've had for a year or so now.  The screen can pivot 90 degrees to portrait orientation.

Viewsonic have a neat utility for Windows (only!) that automatically detects when you pivot the screen, and adjusts your display settings straight away.

I haven't found anything equivalent for Linux yet.  Does anybody know of a programme for this or can you give me any ideas where to start?

Thanks
Francis

#2 2006-12-16 20:54:35

iBertus

Re: Monitor rotation to portrait orientation

XRandR should be able to rotate the display if your video hardware supports it under linux. Unfortunately, I dont' know how to do it automatically.

#3 2006-12-16 23:04:44

lanrat

Theoretically it should be possible if the rotation generates an event that kernel and/or acpid could see.

I know there's a trick like this (acpid receives a special event and runs xrandr command) described somewhere in the thinkpad laptops docs (just ask google) but it could be just the "laptop thing" (treated like a special laptop button events) not available for monitors.

AFAIK standard tools can't recognize the rotation (at least KDE's krandrtray and gnome randr applet) - you can only choose resolutions from the menu.

#4 2006-12-17 00:18:22

fdac

Hmm. thanks for the tips. 

I guess the rotation must generate some type of signal because the Windows utility picks it up. 

I'll look at the standard tools mentioned as a way of manually rotating it in the meantime.

Cheers
Francis

Board footer