You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-01 20:12:04

Alexjust

Help running Steam games

I am trying to do some *extremely* light gaming on my thinkpad T500 but whatever I do I have not been successful in running anything but half life. I tried learn to fly 3 with proton but when it boots up it shows 1 frame of the loading screen and then when it tries to go fullscreen it just blackscreens and crashes.
I have all the drivers listed here https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#D … stallation.
I don't know if the problem is just the extremely old hardware.
If anything else is needed please let me know.
Thanks in advance

#2 2022-09-01 20:36:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: Help running Steam games

This system is simply pretty bad for any gaming, but most importantly one of the main draws of the recent surges in game compatibility and performance in wine/proton stand and fall with vulkan support, no matter how "light" you think the actual game will be, it will simply not start if you do not have Vulkan (doubly so if you think a game "looks" light, but is actually using modern D3D11/12 APIs). And as a general rule of thumb anything Wine needs potentially significantly more resources than if the game were to be ran on Windows depending on how things are implemented.

The only chance you have to get anything running at all is to enable the use of the OpenGL renderer which might suffice depending on what you are trying to use. So at the absolute bare minimum export PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 to your steam process by starting it with e.g.

PROTON_USE_WINED3D=1 steam-runtime

and try to start something, post the output you get in the terminal if something fails. https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

Last edited by V1del (2022-09-01 20:40:26)

#3 2022-09-01 21:31:58

Alexjust

It doesn't output anything when i start a game...
It only outputs when steam starts

[Alex@Alex-Arch ~]$ PROTON_USE_WINE3D=1 steam-runtime

steam.sh[5255]: Running Steam on arch rolling 64-bit

steam.sh[5255]: STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically

setup.sh[5329]: Steam runtime environment up-to-date!

steam.sh[5255]: Steam client's requirements are satisfied

[Alex@Alex-Arch ~]$

#4 2022-09-01 22:00:14

V1del
Forum Moderator

it should output a lot more... also at least in that excerpt you have a typo in the environment variable, you need to use the exact one I gave .

#5 2022-09-01 22:42:38

Alexjust

Ok, so I corrected the typo but the output is the exact same and nothing has changed.
In the meantime, though I tried to install steam via flatpack which seems to have fixed the learn to fly problem but besiege (witch was the second game that I tried to download) still does not work.
This is the output that steam gives me when I launch it:

Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to SynchronizingCloud "syncfailed"
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "IgnoreCloud"
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
/bin/sh\0-c\0/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346010 -- '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege.x86_64'\0
Game process added : AppID 346010 "/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346010 -- '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege.x86_64'", ProcID 438, IP 0.0.0.0:0
chdir /home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
GameAction [AppID 346010, ActionID 2] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Found path: /home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege.x86_64
Mono path[0] = '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege_Data/Mono/etc'
displaymanager : xrandr version warning. 1.6
client has 3 screens
displaymanager screen (0)(LVDS1): 1280 x 800
Using libudev for joystick management

Importing game controller configs
Game process removed: AppID 346010 "/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=346010 -- '/home/Alex/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Besiege/Besiege.x86_64'", ProcID 438 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 439

The game itself does nothing, it just opens with a blue screen and then it crashes...
Could the hardware be at fault?
Thanks in advance for the help, I am still very new to linux -_-

#6 2022-09-01 23:12:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Your system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for besiege by a long shot. What's your actual hardware? Output of

glxinfo -B #From mesa-utils

We are talking about this kind of thinkpad right? that's just not good enough, for a lot of things.

#7 2022-09-01 23:18:22

Alexjust

I am well aware that there is no way for it to run besiege, it was just to see if it would even start. The problem is that I tried games like hook and hook 2 (https://store.steampowered.com/app/367580/Hook/) and those don't work either.

glxinfo -B output:

name of display: :0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device: Mesa Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset (CTG) (0x2a42)

Version: 22.1.7

Accelerated: yes

Video memory: 1536MB

Unified memory: yes

Preferred profile: compat (0x2)

Max core profile version: 0.0

Max compat profile version: 2.1

Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1

Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0

OpenGL vendor string: Intel

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset (CTG)

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 22.1.7

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 22.1.7

OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16

EDIT: Poly bridge doesn't work too

Last edited by Alexjust (2022-09-01 23:20:20)

#8 2022-09-01 23:47:31

V1del
Forum Moderator

That's a 2015 game, your HW acceleration goes up to OpenGL 2.1 which gives you all the HW acceleration power of the early 2007s the minimum speccs mention intel HD 3000 which is much newer than what you have.

One thing you can try is omit the graphics card completely and hope for software rendering, start steam/the game's launch options with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1

Last edited by V1del (2022-09-01 23:53:23)

#9 2022-09-02 00:09:52

Alexjust

Whelp, no luck with that either...
I think I will stick to half life and learn to fly while I am on my laptop (not that it could do much more...) and the rest I will do on my pc.
I'll maybe try to figure something out with remote play but I think that if I want to use it outside of my wifi I'll need a public IP...
Thank you so much, you have been of great help big_smile

P.S. Do I have to close the thread? If yes what do I have to do?

Last edited by Alexjust (2022-09-02 00:12:34)

Board footer