You are not logged in.

#1 2006-12-16 22:38:57

harlekin

[solved] Terminal: Blurring background

Good day.
While changing my WM's look I wondered if and how I can achieve the effect that my terminal displays the wallpaper but blurs it. I want to have transparency but with a blur effect. Hope you get what I try to express. I saw it plenty of times but I do not know how to realize.

First: Is it possible to blur this part of the wallpaper that is covered by the terminal or can I just set a (fixed) background image of the terminal and blur this?

I tried to realize it by converting my background to a xpm file because my terminal accept xpm files as background. Then I could easily blur this xpm file but my problem is that I do not see another part of this file as terminal background while I move the term around because the background is fixed. Is there an option to move this terminal's background regarding its movement or is there a smarter way to achieve this effect because doing it this way I have to load a huge file with terminal startup. Or can't I realize it at all?

Btw. my terminal is urxvt and I use Openbox.

Thanks for answers.
harlekin

Hail to the thief!

#2 2006-12-16 23:11:49

martti1

Re: [solved] Terminal: Blurring background

It's not really what you're looking for, but I tried Elive (elivecd.org) a couple days ago and there was a terminal that blurred its background even while I was moving it. I'm quite sure it was an eterm cvs version, since the desktop was e17.

Linux user #438799

#3 2006-12-16 23:26:44

paem

http://cvs.schmorp.de/rxvt-unicode/doc/rxvt.7.html:

I can't get transparency working, what am I doing wrong?
[...]
2. Use a simple pixmap and emulate pseudo-transparency. This enables you to use effects other than tinting and shading: Just shade/tint/whatever your picture with gimp or any other tool:
   convert wallpaper.jpg -blur 20x20 -modulate 30 background.xpm
   urxvt -pixmap background.xpm -pe automove-background

That works. If you think it doesn't, you lack XPM and Perl support, or you are unable to read.

That was what I used when I bothered to make my desktop look cool.

#4 2006-12-16 23:28:36

harlekin

Thanks a lot. (=

edit: Just tested it. It does work but there's a little problem. There seems to be an offset, well... just look at this picture.
termgj8.th.png

It tried to fix it by setting pixmap's geometry but it didn't work out.
Any suggestions? (:

Hail to the thief!

#5 2006-12-17 00:54:19

paem

Edit: Doh, can't read.

urxvtperl(3) -> automove-background

[...]No scaling is supported in this mode.

smthdp0.th.png

#6 2006-12-17 02:16:00

yankees26

You have to scale the background before doing the convert so they will match up.  Otherwise the program that sets your background will scale it and urxvt won't scale it.

#7 2006-12-17 10:30:00

harlekin

Ah thanks. I could have thought about it myself. (:

Thanks a lot.

Hail to the thief!

#8 2006-12-17 17:22:25

superstoned

wow this gotta be a 'let's not care about performance' trick, man... let's hope the new Xgl/AIGLX and extensions to xorg 7.2+, used in the new windowmanagers like compiz/beryl, metacity+composite and kwin+composite will make this a bit more efficient...

btw for the konsole lovers, there is a patch, it's in kdemod's repository, which allows Konsole to use real transparancy when a compositing windowmanager is running.

-=] life sucks deeply [=-

#9 2006-12-17 21:47:30

elasticdog
Website

superstoned wrote:

btw for the konsole lovers, there is a patch, it's in kdemod's repository, which allows Konsole to use real transparancy when a compositing windowmanager is running.

If you have compositing running already, why would it be necessary for a particular program to support true transparency?  Couldn't you just use transset or whatever to control it like any other window's transparency?

#10 2006-12-20 12:50:35

abhidg
Website

Well, transparency is supported independently of the application if compiz/beryl is used, but AFAIK, beryl/compiz doesn't support the beautiful blurring of the whole window. (Blurring in the titlebar is supported, tho)

#11 2007-04-15 22:07:00

F

yankees26 wrote:

You have to scale the background before doing the convert so they will match up.  Otherwise the program that sets your background will scale it and urxvt won't scale it.

Sorry to bump this thread, but how do I scale the background?

Board footer