You are not logged in.

#1 2022-09-17 12:17:05

Bedwa
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 14

Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

I am using a SanDisk USB 3.0 256GB

Offline

#2 2022-09-17 14:06:28

ewaller
Administrator
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 18,762

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

Moving to Installation


Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Offline

#3 2022-09-17 15:17:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Registered: 2011-11-29
Posts: 27,292
Website

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

I had never heard of ventoy's and had to look it up.  You can do whatever suits you, but if you use ventoy you will not have an arch linux system - at least not one that can get support here.

You may be interested in this wiki page for installing to removable media.

EDIT 2: I see from a previous thread of yours you've already found the page above.  But you may not have worked through the installation guide yet which is what you should do now.  In that other thread you said you "installed" the iso on the VM, but I don't think you did any installation: you just booted the iso in the VM which is step 1.4 in the installation guide.  In your other thread you were asked about "pointing the install" to your usb disk, which is step 1.11 of the installation guide (you mount the partitions from the usb disk appropriately before running pacstrap).  Note that I've highlighted a couple steps in the guide, but you cannot skip the ones in between (i.e., you need to create the approrpiate partitions on the flash drive).

Last edited by Trilby (2022-09-17 15:28:24)


"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Offline

#4 2022-09-17 15:23:52

tucuxi
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2020-03-08
Posts: 266

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

It depends on your usecase, which you haven't shared with us. I use both.

Offline

#5 2022-09-18 13:16:38

Bedwa
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 14

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

Trilby wrote:

I had never heard of ventoy's and had to look it up.  You can do whatever suits you, but if you use ventoy you will not have an arch linux system - at least not one that can get support here.

You may be interested in this wiki page for installing to removable media.

EDIT 2: I see from a previous thread of yours you've already found the page above.  But you may not have worked through the installation guide yet which is what you should do now.  In that other thread you said you "installed" the iso on the VM, but I don't think you did any installation: you just booted the iso in the VM which is step 1.4 in the installation guide.  In your other thread you were asked about "pointing the install" to your usb disk, which is step 1.11 of the installation guide (you mount the partitions from the usb disk appropriately before running pacstrap).  Note that I've highlighted a couple steps in the guide, but you cannot skip the ones in between (i.e., you need to create the approrpiate partitions on the flash drive).

No I followed the guide and partitioned /dev/sdb (my usb) and am debating whether to change to ventoy or not.

Offline

#6 2022-09-18 13:17:34

Bedwa
Member
Registered: 2022-09-08
Posts: 14

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

tucuxi wrote:

It depends on your usecase, which you haven't shared with us. I use both.

academically and to learn / program

Offline

#7 2022-09-18 15:11:14

tucuxi
Member
From: Switzerland
Registered: 2020-03-08
Posts: 266

Re: Should I full install Arch Linux or use ventoy's persistence with live

Bedwa wrote:
tucuxi wrote:

It depends on your usecase, which you haven't shared with us. I use both.

academically and to learn / program

In that case try out both options.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB