You are not logged in.

#1 2022-10-20 08:05:23

justasug

[SOLVED] GNOME blank screen without turning it off

I want to disable any GNOME related power-savings and display blanking and rely on DPMS to just blank the screen. The reason is that GNOME's internal power-management/blanking seems to shut the screen off or enter a weird state where there is no sound (music stops playing).

I have disabled all power-saving settings and the ones in the privacy settings. I have created this Xorg configuration file:

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-dpms.conf
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "ServerLayout0"
    Option "StandbyTime" "3"
    Option "SuspendTime" "8"
    Option "OffTime"     "10"
    Option "BlankTime"   "2"
EndSection

However the DPMS output shows the following:

DPMS (Energy Star):
  Standby: 0    Suspend: 0    Off: 0
  DPMS is Enabled
  Monitor is On

GNOME seems to be overriding the DPMS settings, but I couldn't find out from where. Does anyone have an idea how to solve this?

EDIT: I don't want to disable the GNOME DPMS settings anymore and set it manually. I just want GNOME to blank the screen (make it black) and to still be able to hear sounds. This used to work, but now it doesn't anymore. I don't remember changing anything and there wasn't a GNOME update.

Last edited by justasug (2022-10-21 21:36:08)

#2 2022-10-20 08:08:37

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME blank screen without turning it off

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GNOME#Power doesn't help? See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/GDM#GD … NOME_3.28) as well, GDM also acts as a lock screen on gnome and these settings might be relevant in a locking context.

There are also some related user services you might be able to hide/mask (though unsure how gnome will react to that)

systemctl --user mask org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.ScreensaverProxy.service org.gnome.SettingsDaemon.Power.service --now #change mask to unmask to revert

Last edited by V1del (2022-10-20 08:57:03)

#3 2022-10-20 09:29:47

justasug

I haven't had any success.

I have tried changing the settings via gsettings, but they get reverted back to their old ones by something. I have applied my settings to the GDM settings (like in the linked GDM Wiki article).

org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power ambient-enabled true
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-brightness 30
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power idle-dim false
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'suspend'
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-saver-profile-on-low-battery true
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-timeout 3600
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-ac-type 'nothing'
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-timeout 1800
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power sleep-inactive-battery-type 'nothing'

I noticed that I can toggle the Xorg blanking setting via the Xorg conf file, but not the other DPMS settings (standby, suspend, off remain at 0).
I set blanking to 60 and it showed up in "xset q". However when it blanked, the sound stopped too and my TV said "No Signal". Is it doing more than just blanking, i.e. turning the screen off?

Here is how my gnome-control-center settings look like.
https://i.postimg.cc/SsJgJ0Jy/Bildschir … -11-21.png
https://i.postimg.cc/XJmQ52C9/Bildschir … -11-36.png

I didn't try masking those services, since I reckon that I need them for normal GNOME blanking. I just want it to make the screen black, not turn it off. It used to work like this.

New goal: how can I make GNOME just blank the screen (make it black) instead of turning it off?

Last edited by justasug (2022-10-20 09:33:48)

#4 2022-10-20 10:36:50

V1del
Forum Moderator

You need to disable DPMS entirely and use a screensaver that simply fills the screen with black in that case.

#5 2022-10-21 07:57:06

justasug

I have tried Xscreensaver and Xfce4-screensaver. Both cause the audio to cut out before they activate. I'm also using the fractional scaling hack for Mutter in X11, the screen flickers and resizes when it turns off.

I have also tried a new user, with the default GNOME settings. The screen also turns off instead of blanking. It is still a mystery as to how it used to work just a few days ago.

#6 2022-10-21 08:50:54

V1del
Forum Moderator

Kernel change in regards to it's acpi handling? What's your hardware? Can you repro on linux-lts ?

#7 2022-10-21 12:14:03

justasug

V1del wrote:

What's your hardware?

I am running an Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti using the nvidia driver from the official repository. It's connected to a Philips smart TV via HDMI.

V1del wrote:

Can you repro on linux-lts ?

Yes, I tested the LTS kernel and I am getting the same results (screen turns off instead of "blanking"). I have looked around on the internet and interestingly stumbled upon people complaining about the opposite: their screen just blanks instead of turning off. I don't know if this is a bug or intended behaviour, I guess I have to ask on the GNOME bug tracker.

Last edited by justasug (2022-10-21 12:14:22)

#8 2022-10-21 13:00:16

seth

V1del wrote:

You need to disable DPMS entirely

https://man.archlinux.org/man/extra/xor … #Option~45

#9 2022-10-21 21:35:43

justasug

seth wrote:
V1del wrote:

You need to disable DPMS entirely

https://man.archlinux.org/man/extra/xor … #Option~45

It worked. The combination of disabling DPMS and using the GNOME screensaver/blanking seems to work. Thanks.
I don't know why it used to work before, but not now. I didn't change anything related to DPMS when it happened.

Board footer