You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-03 13:48:13

onecmc

Secure Boot with shim and grub- missing grub module

I'm following the instructions to set up arch linux secure boot with grub2 and shim.

The instructions are to compile a list of Grub modules to pass to grub during grub installation like so:

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/esp --modules="$(cat /boot/grub_modules)" --sbat=/usr/share/grub/sbat.csv

However, I am getting this error:

grub-install: error: cannot open `/usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/linuxefi.mod': No such file or directory.

I compiled the module list from the source as instructed. I looked for missing grub packages but couldn't find anything obvious.

#2 2023-06-06 15:22:22

xyakimo1

Re: Secure Boot with shim and grub- missing grub module

Hi, I've faced the same issue. Just omitting linuxefi module helped. Here is a command to set GRUB_MODULES variable as suggested in the post, but without linuxefi module, for your convenience:

GRUB_MODULES="all_video boot btrfs cat chain configfile echo efifwsetup efinet ext2 fat font gettext gfxmenu gfxterm gfxterm_background gzio halt help hfsplus iso9660 jpeg keystatus loadenv loopback linux ls lsefi lsefimmap lsefisystab lssal memdisk minicmd normal ntfs part_apple part_msdos part_gpt password_pbkdf2 png probe reboot regexp search search_fs_uuid search_fs_file search_label sleep smbios squash4 test true video xfs zfs zfscrypt zfsinfo cpuid play tpm cryptodisk gcry_arcfour gcry_blowfish gcry_camellia gcry_cast5 gcry_crc gcry_des gcry_dsa gcry_idea gcry_md4 gcry_md5 gcry_rfc2268 gcry_rijndael gcry_rmd160 gcry_rsa gcry_seed gcry_serpent gcry_sha1 gcry_sha256 gcry_sha512 gcry_tiger gcry_twofish gcry_whirlpool luks lvm mdraid09 mdraid1x raid5rec raid6rec"

#3 2023-06-09 13:44:48

nl6720
The Evil Wiki Admin

Re: Secure Boot with shim and grub- missing grub module

"linuxefi" is not a module that upstream GRUB has, it's a thing Ubuntu (and some other distros) patch in. I removed it from the list on that wiki page now.

Board footer