You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-19 14:36:26

legendary_hu3

How to get rid of warnings?

Hello, this is my first post (i hope it isn't too noob of a question)

i am using the latest version of arch linux right now (6.0.8-arch1-1) and installed the kafka AUR package

but when i use the scripts from kafka i get the following warning: "egrep: warning: egrep is obsolescent; using grep -E"

so then i posted this issue in the kafka package comment, but the maintainer kindly answered my comment saying that he could patch it but since the application still work, he won't patch just because of some warning.

i think it's a fairly reasonable answer, but i am still annoyed by these warnings

i tried to use the alias command, but it doesn't work

so is there a way to get rid of this warning? is there a systematic command for that? because when i get another warning i can judge if i want to read that or not.

thanks in advance.

#2 2022-11-19 14:44:53

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: How to get rid of warnings?

And as they told you, it's an upstream problem. Ultimately they're the ones that need to change the scripts.

Edit: looks like this was already patched in trunk, so you can either do it yourself (no, I'm not going to give you commands to run) or you can wait for the next minor version update.

Last edited by Scimmia (2022-11-19 15:16:11)

#3 2022-11-19 17:44:48

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: moving to AUR Issues

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#4 2022-11-20 12:04:31

a821

maybe add to the PKGBUILD in prepare()

sed -i 's/egrep/grep -E/'  $pkgname-$_pkgver/bin/kafka-run-class.sh

#5 2022-11-23 02:59:40

legendary_hu3

Scimmia wrote:

And as they told you, it's an upstream problem. Ultimately they're the ones that need to change the scripts.

Edit: looks like this was already patched in trunk, so you can either do it yourself (no, I'm not going to give you commands to run) or you can wait for the next minor version update.

i don't get the "it's an upstream problem" how exactly this could fix my issue that doesn't involve sit and wait?  they said that to me and i thought "hum.. ok it's just a warning and since the maintainer has this discretion, I'm going to ask in a forum to solve my issue"

well to try to solve the issue i pulled from the kafka AUR git, and it said it is updated, maybe i didn't understand what you said "patched in trunk"
although i looked in the apache website and saw they had the the scala 2.13 instead of 2.12 version on the kafka AUR git

i changed the PKGBUILD to put the 2.13 version but it keep giving me the warning.

ofc i would want to do it myself (that's why i am here) but i did not understand exactly what you said... you could keep the "no, I'm not going to give you commands to run" to yourself, i mean it was a little rude to a post from the Newbie Corner, don't you think?
maybe i stepped on a landmine that i have no idea of the rules or even the etiquette here, but common you could explain it for me to not make the same mistake, but i tried to be as polite as possible in the first post.

i can see you are some kind of power user, looking into your posts number but this post is my second one here hahaha
well you tried to help me and gave me some hints, so i'll give my thanks. I would be even more thankful if you politely try to clarify what you said. (because i am curious about the "looks like this was already patched in trunk" part)

a821 wrote:

maybe add to the PKGBUILD in prepare()

sed -i 's/egrep/grep -E/'  $pkgname-$_pkgver/bin/kafka-run-class.sh

hey dude, this worked perfectly for me, Thank you very much.

i changed it a little and i put that on PKGBUILD

sed -i 's/egrep/grep -E/'  ${pkgname}_${_pkgver}/bin/kafka-run-class.sh

Board footer