You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-20 17:25:34

apm

virt-viewer - problems in Gnome

Hi all,

it seems like I have found a strange issue.

I am using KVM VMs and running them on my local system. I am on Gnome on wayland, both on my work PC and my laptop. To connect to their display outputs I am using virt-viewer.

On my laptop everything works - I start the VM, run the virt-viewer, get the “Allow input grabbing” prompt, click “allow” and I can use the meta key in the VM. All is good.

On my work PC, however, I had some problems for a few weeks. Initially everything worked normally, but then I got some intermittent issues. To be able to “force” the prompt to appear in virt-viewer, I first had to connect to the VM console from the virt-manager, if I got the prompt in virt-manager I then got the prompt in virt-viewer. This was annoying, but I could get it to work with some fiddling. Since about two weeks it no longer shows any prompts, either in virt-manager or in virt-viewer.

If I launch the virt-viewer in X11 session (by setting variable GDK_BACKEND=x11) the keyboard grab works correctly. However the VM display is then slow and laggy (on Wayland it works smoothly).

What also started happening around the same time, is that when I launch the virt-viewer and enter fullscreen, the guest's cursor dissapears. I can click and operate the system, but the pointer is missing.

I don’t think this is a gnome issue, I have the same DE and fully updated system on my laptop. What's more - I am successfully using looking glass on the same system (compiled from source) and the described behavior is not present.

Any ideas what to check and what to try?

Board footer