You are not logged in.

#1 2022-11-28 06:58:47

bleed_ch

[REQUEST] libopendmarc

Hello everybody,

I kindly request the addition of "libopendmarc" for all those users who compile their smtpd by themself. Currently Linux Arch is only offering opendmarc with horrible dependencies like smtpd-server (which in itself installs an entire daemon)

All the other necessary library packages like libidn, libidn2, libspf2 for an advanced self compiled smtpd's are available with the exception of libopendmarc.

http://www.trusteddomain.org/opendmarc/ … index.html

Every other major distro has it too, some of them since a very long time:

https://packages.debian.org/search?sear … ndmarc-dev
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw … ndmarc-dev

Thanks to anybody who would take out his/her time of the day to add this library to the Arch repository. It is highly appreciated - really.

Best regards,
bleed_ch

#2 2022-11-28 11:41:49

Lone_Wolf

Re: [REQUEST] libopendmarc

Looks like this is  a small package .

Installed Size: 	436.8 KB

for all those users who compile their smtpd by themself

You do realise smtp-server is a virtual dependency that can be satisifed by adding provides='smtp-server' to the PKGBUILD for your self-compiled smtpd server ?

Incase you're not using a PKGBUILD for your smptd server : archlinux / pacman / makepkg work differently then those other major distros .
Installing stuff systemwide that is not under control of pacman equals inviting problems that will be very hard to troubleshoot.

You should read up on archlinux packaging, I suggest you start with https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Arch_Build_System .
Make sure to follow the links at the top right of the page.

Welcome to archlinux forums

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2022-12-12 21:16:50

bleed_ch

Hello Lone_Wolf,

Thank you for your response. I am aware of pacman and how Arch is conducting its software. The thing is, I use a bash script to setup my entire system in an automated way and therefore don't need to do system updates/upgrades but instead just set up my entire system newly once a month through that aforementioned script.

Arch is really perfect for me. The libraries on it - and generally the software - are absolutely cutting edge and that is exactly what I am looking for. I am just struggling with that one missing library (libopendmarc) and it would be absolutely fantastic and supportive, if any maintainer (or even the opendmarc package maintainer him/herself) could add a separate libopendmarc package for those edge cases like yours truly. :- )

This of course is just a kind ask and not to be misunderstood as a spoiled request. Would be absolutely grateful for it. Thanks so much again for the response and I remain with

Best regards,
bleed_ch

#4 2022-12-12 22:10:28

loqs

bleed_ch wrote:

Thank you for your response. I am aware of pacman and how Arch is conducting its software. The thing is, I use a bash script to setup my entire system in an automated way and therefore don't need to do system updates/upgrades but instead just set up my entire system newly once a month through that aforementioned script.

Does your bash script not use pacman to install Arch packages?  If it does,  can you not add the option --assume-installed=smtp-server to satisfy the dependency?

#5 2022-12-30 17:55:49

bleed_ch

Hello loqs,

Yes, I am using pacman to install the basics (build-essential equiv. and libs) but no actual daemon. I suppose --assume-installed=smtp-server would be a possible work-around but not really a solution. Is it complicated to create and/or contribute libopendmarc to the Arch repository by myself? Have never done that and I am sure a few other souls on this world would be happy too. How should I go about it?

Best regards,
bleed_ch

#6 2022-12-30 18:10:26

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You shouldn't be packaging libopendmarc, it's already packaged.  You should package your smtpd build and just properly include "provides=(smtpd-server)".

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer