You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-01 19:03:08

ryansuchocki
Website

AUR ARM package advice

I created a `libsdrplay-armv7h` PKGBUILD and pushed it to the AUR. Note that it's not just a changed 'arch = ...' line, there is a different upstream binary.

I didn't think this violated the 'AUR submission guidelines' as there is no libsdrplay package in the official repos. The x86 libsdrplay package is also in the AUR.
The archlinuxarm docs suggest that the separate archlinuxarm repo is for recompiled versions of packages in the official repos plus a handful of retargeted AUR packages which are particularly frequently requested.

A 'deletion request' has been submitted by someone (who I assume is an experienced user) with the reason "arm specific".

I'm not really sure where else I could have put this. Does this mean that the AUR is to be an x86-only zone? Does it mean that I'm supposed to try to convince the maintainer of the x86 AUR package to put some conditionality in their PKGBUILD?

#2 2022-12-01 19:12:14

ewaller
Administrator

Re: AUR ARM package advice

As far as I am aware, It is not an x86-only zone.  Was that 'someone' a Package Maintainer (formerly known as Trusted User)?   
The AUR are administered by the Package Maintainers, so you might reach out to one of them.

https://archlinux.org/people/trusted-users/

Looks like our front page needs some updating as well

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2022-12-01 19:28:46

yochananmarqos

It would be best to ask the libsdrplay Maintainer to add the aarch64 and armv7h sources. Then libsdrplay-raspberry-aarch64 & libsdrplay-armv7h can be merged into libsdrplay. No reason to have three separate packages.

#4 2022-12-02 08:46:11

a821

IIRC (from aur-general mailing list), the consensus was that packages that cannot be installed in arch are not allowed in the AUR. This covers ARM only packages as well as arch-derivatives (eg manjaro) specific packages. However, AUR maintainers are allowed to add other architectures to their packages if they wish.

@ryansuchocki:  I would ask in IIRC or aur-general mailing list. You can also reply to the email you received (I think you need to register in aur-requests first though).

#5 2022-12-11 01:26:24

ryansuchocki
Website

I had a go at combining it into the original 'libsdrplay' PKGBUILD, thinking the maintainer would appreciate a ready-to-go patch. Unfortunately, the available upstream binary versions are mutually exclusive. i.e., version 3.07.1 exists upstream for x86 and version 3.07.2 exists upstream for armv7, but not v.v. So, without some hideous 'pkgver' conditionality, I don't think that can work.

Anyway, the "deletion request" has now been accepted, so I guess that's the end of that...

Ironically: the existing aarch64-only version of the package (which *could* be combined with the x86 package as it does exist upstream at version 3.07.1) has not been deleted...

Last edited by ryansuchocki (2022-12-11 01:27:09)

Board footer