You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-05 21:43:08

Ravi-DElia

Freeze after suspend-then-hibernate (Kernel 6.0.11)

After upgrading to a 6.0 Kernel, my laptop (Gen 1 Thinkpad X1 Extreme) developed an issue where after resuming from suspend the screen would be frozen. I can still move the mouse, but there is no visible keyboard input and none of my shortcuts do anything. I can move to a different TTY with the normal keyboard shortcuts, however, and everything over there is fine. I can read and write to disk, connect to the internet, etc. When I open up htop, I can see all the processes that were running when I suspended. All of them have about the memory usage I'd expect, but only the processes owned by root have any CPU usage.

Now here's the weird part. When I say this happens after suspend-then-hibernate, I mean it. The system resumes just fine after suspend AND after hibernate. It's only after suspend-then-hibernate that there's an issue. Nothing in the logs indicates any issue, and in the other TTY I can even tail journalctl. I've tried to eliminate what variables I could:

- Optimus-Manager with BBSwitch- Tried uninstalling both, keeping the nvidia-dkms drivers installed. Got a different issue with resuming from suspend which I've gotten for years if I suspend while in "nvidia mode" with Optimus-Manager. So this could be masking a fix, but it's stayed consistent for way longer than I've had this specific problem.

- My WM is BSPWM. I tried with I3 and (after wrestling the settings a bit so everything would work) got the same issue

- Rolling back the kernel version broke so many other things that I wasn't able to test the suspending issue. Will need to diagnose separately, but this did only start happening after an update.

Kernel: 6.0.11-arch1-1
Machine: Thinkpad X1 Extreme (Gen 1)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8750H
GPU (Nvidia driver is NOT loaded, this is from the output of lshw): CoffeeLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics 630]
DM: LightDM
WM: BSPWM

Not sure what log outputs would be useful, as there are no error messages. If they're necessary I'll get to work scrubbing out personal details.

#2 2022-12-06 01:27:14

cfr

Re: Freeze after suspend-then-hibernate (Kernel 6.0.11)

You need to post the journal. Also post /etc/systemd/logind.conf and /etc/systemd/sleep.conf.

You could try installing the lts kernel, together with the relevant nvidia stuff, to see if you can reproduce the issue there. That should work better than downgrading the kernel.

When you resume from suspend-then-hibernate, does it make a difference whether the system has hibernated or merely suspended? There was a thread recently where somebody reported trouble only when the system had been suspended for longer than the value of HibernateDelaySec.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

Board footer