You are not logged in.

#1 2022-12-18 14:25:38

Nase

aur/microsoft-edge-stable-bin: no audio anymore

I was using Edge for PWAs like Outlook and Microsoft Teams. Since a couple of days now (maybe weeks), there is no audio anymore. Audio devices are listed, but audio simply doesn't play anymore. Any ideas?

There was some pipewire update recently, but I'm not sure whether it caused this issue. I am not using Edge regularly, only when in home office.

As a workaround, I use Chromium for now. But I'd really like to know how I can restore Audio in Edge.

#2 2022-12-18 15:14:48

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

Re: aur/microsoft-edge-stable-bin: no audio anymore

Moving to AUR issues.

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#3 2022-12-18 15:49:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

And I take if you haven't updated the edge package yet.  That's most likely the problem.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2022-12-18 16:31:27

Nase

Trilby wrote:

And I take if you haven't updated the edge package yet.  That's most likely the problem.

I'm using yay and aur/microsoft-edge-stable-bin is latest. I have even tried aur/microsoft-edge-beta-bin. No improvement on the audio.

#5 2022-12-18 16:58:25

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Nase wrote:
Trilby wrote:

I'm using yay and aur/microsoft-edge-stable-bin is latest. I have even tried aur/microsoft-edge-beta-bin. No improvement on the audio.

It doesn't matter which version it is, you have to rebuild it against the new libraries in the official repos. That's why it is imperative you understansd the difference between your package manager and an AUR helper.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2022-12-18 18:43:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

In this case, as a -bin package, the AUR maintainer needs to do the rebuild.  End users just need to update to the newest pkgrel.  The maintainer released a rebuild two days ago.  Given that this problem has been going on longer than that, I remain skeptical that Nase really did (successfully) install the newest version.  The use of yay could fit with this suspicion, as I couldn't even count the number of times yay users said they ran a yay command to update their aur packages while they remained completely oblivious to the fact that it failed to do so.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2022-12-18 22:58:36

christophergray

I installed microsoft-edge-stable-bin 108.0.1462.54-1 on my system which uses pulseaudio and xorg-server with i3-wm.  The sound worked.  But… yuck.  I'm sticking with plain chromium or with firefox.  Removing it now.  The chaotic-aur repo has many packages from the aur already built so you can install them with pacman -S.  That is where I installed this package from.  Instructions to add this repo
to your pacman.conf are at https://aur.chaotic.cx/.

#8 2022-12-18 23:01:36

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

It's a -bin package.  Nothing gets built.  Geesh.

Board footer